Jamaica hostage taker releases all plane passengers (Third Lead)April 20th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston, April 20 (DPA) An armed hostage-taker Monday released all passengers aboard a charter plane at an airport on the Caribbean island of Jamaica, media reports said.
The news channel CNN reported that the man was still holding five crew members of the Boeing 737 stationed on the tarmac at Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay.
The channel said that the plane was surrounded by police who were negotiating with the man. CNN quoting Radio Jamaica said it was not clear what his demands were, while other media reported that he wanted to be flown to Cuba.
The CanJet plane had been scheduled to fly from Sangster to Halifax in Canada. Airport authorities closed the facility amid the incident.
According to the online edition of Jamaican newspaper, The Gleaner, at 11 p.m. Sunday the gunman boarded the plane using false identification documents, and proceeded to rob passengers on the aircraft before holding them hostage.
The newspaper also said that at least one shot had been fired on board the plane, although it is not clear if anyone was injured.
The Gleaner quoted staff at the airport as saying that the hostage-taker appeared to be a Latin-American male.
- Man holds seven hostage on plane in Jamaica (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Hostage situation at Sangster International Airport in Jamaica - Apr 20, 2009
- Jamaican hijacker storms Canadian plane for cash (Fourth Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Plane crashes at Jamaica airport in rain - Dec 24, 2009
- 40 injured as US plane overshoots runway in Jamaica (Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- Death Toll In Jamaica Likely To Mount - May 26, 2010
- Delta employees arrested in Detroit airport for international drug smuggling - Apr 29, 2011
- 167 hostages released from plane in Jamaica, two being held (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Plane crashes in Jamaica, 40 hurt - Dec 23, 2009
- Gayle signs agreement with WICB, but with the IPL rider - Mar 26, 2012
- Gayle could return as Jamaican captain - Oct 05, 2011
- Passengers held hostage aboard plane in Jamaica - Apr 20, 2009
- American Airlines plane overshoots runway at Jamaica airport, injures 40 - Dec 23, 2009
- Compensate for slavery: Jamaica - Mar 06, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes into Pakistani neighborhood, casualties feared - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: airport authorities, boeing, boeing 737, canjet, caribbean island, charter plane, cnn, crew members, cuba, fly, gleaner, gunman, hostage taker, island of jamaica, kingston, montego bay, plane passengers, radio jamaica, sangster international airport, tarmac