Jaguar Land Rover to axe 450 employeesJanuary 14th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan.14 (ANI): Car giant Jaguar Land Rover is to axe 450 employees, including 300 managers, as part of a cost-cutting exercise, the company has announced.
According to the Daily Star, the cuts follow the “severe reduction” in demand for new cars.
Jaguar Land Rover also announced that managers will not receive any bonuses this year, while pay rises have been deferred to October.
The company said it had started consultations with employee representatives on the proposed redundancy programme, adding: “Clearly these choices are very difficult. No company wants to lose skilled and experienced employees in any condition. Throughout the process, we will ensure employees are treated with dignity,” the paper quoted CEO David Smith, as saying.
“We don”t expect sales conditions to return to normal levels for some time. If we are to continue to fund and invest in the products and technology that we will need to be successful when customer demand picks up again after the recession, then we have to improve our efficiency and costs, to improve our ability to respond to the marketplace,” he added.
“It is critical that Jaguar Land Rover becomes a more efficient and dynamic organisation to face up to the challenges that we will meet in the years ahead,” Smith said.
The firm, based in Gaydon, Warwickshire, has 15,000 employees with plants in Coventry, Solihull, Castle Bromwich and Halewood on Merseyside. (ANI)
- Deal to save jobs at TATA-owned Jaguar on anvil - Feb 25, 2009
- China to buy 13,000 Jaguars as part of new MoU - Feb 28, 2009
- British MP demands to meet Ratan Tata over 'bad judgement' - Sep 27, 2009
- Jaguar Land Rover to close British plant; no compulsory redundancies - Sep 24, 2009
- Tata announces - Jun 20, 2008
- Workers at TATA-owned Jaguar vote for a pay freeze - Mar 06, 2009
- Tata's Jaguar to end X-Type car production, sack 300 employees - Jul 15, 2009
- Worker dies at Jaguar Land Rover factory - Sep 27, 2011
- Tata Jaguar seeks 198 voluntary redundancies - Oct 17, 2008
- TATA-owned Jaguar to hire 1500 for production jobs, more in the offing - Nov 21, 2010
- Jaguar Land Rover to hit Indian roads in June (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- TATA's Land Rover seeks 781 m pounds in UK Govt. loans - Apr 03, 2009
- Tata-owned Corus, Jaguar Land Rover take a knock (Lead) - Oct 17, 2008
- Jaguar Land Rover cuts jobs at British plants - Jan 14, 2009
- Jaguar Land Rover opens first plant in India - May 27, 2011
Tags: axe, car giant, castle bromwich, coventry, customer demand, daily star, david smith, dignity, dynamic organisation, employee representatives, gaydon, halewood, jaguar, land rover, london jan, new cars, recession, redundancy, solihull, warwickshire