ITC net drops 4.3 percent to Rs.7.5 bnAugust 4th, 2008 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 4 (IANS) The net profit of Kolkata-based ITC Ltd, which has interests in tobacco, paper, hospitality and agri-products, dropped 4.3 percent to Rs.7.49 billion in the first quarter of the current fiscal, compared to Rs.7.83 billion during the corresponding period last fiscal, the company said Monday. “The unprecedented increase in the rates of excise duties on non-filter cigarettes, of the order of 140-390 percent, in the 2008 Union budget has made it unviable for legitimate manufacturers to make value propositions that will appeal to consumers in this segment,” a company release said.
ITC, however, posted a net turnover of Rs.39 billion in the first quarter this year, registering a growth of 18.4 percent.
This was largely driven by the non-cigarette businesses, which grew by 29 percent due to the continued scale up of the new FMCG businesses, higher agri business revenues and a healthy performance by the hotels and paperboards and packaging businesses, the release said.
ITC has varied ranges of businesses in its kitty like cigarettes, branded packaged foods, lifestyle retailing, personal care products, education and stationery products, hotels, paperboards, specialty paper and packaging and agri business.
- ITC quarterly net profit rises 20 percent - Jul 26, 2012
- ITC quarterly net profit grows 26 percent - May 25, 2012
- ITC quarterly profit rises by 21.41 percent - Jan 21, 2011
- ITC aims to create multiple Indian FMCG brands: Deveshwar - Jul 27, 2012
- ITC Ltd quarterly net profit increases 24.5 percent - Jul 28, 2011
- ITC's quarterly net profit rises 22.4 percent - Jan 20, 2012
- ITC's Sri Lankan subsidiary acquires land in Colombo - May 16, 2012
- ITC fourth quarter net profit up 24.6 percent - May 20, 2011
- ITC third quarter net profit up 27 percent - Jan 22, 2010
- ITC's second quarter net up 21.46 percent - Oct 24, 2011
- ITC net profit up 25.81 percent - Oct 23, 2009
- Harita NTI, ITC to develop bio-polymer packaging material - May 31, 2011
- ITC net profit rises 25.81 percent in second quarter (Lead) - Oct 23, 2009
- ITC Ltd Q4 profit up by 27.1 percent - May 21, 2010
- Wipro outlook cautious on flat growth (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: agri products, bn, business revenues, cigarette, excise duties, filter cigarettes, first quarter, fmcg, itc ltd, legitimate manufacturers, net profit, paperboards, personal care products, products education, specialty paper, stationery products, tobacco paper, union budget, unprecedented increase, value propositions