Italy’s European record lottery jackpot crackedAugust 23rd, 2009 - 2:38 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Aug 23 (DPA) After going uncollected for almost eight months, the 146.9-million-euro ($209.5-million) jackpot prize in Italy’s state lottery was finally won Saturday.
The winning six number combination was 10-11-27-45 -79-88.
The lucky ticket was bought in Bagnone, a town of just 1,945 residents in Tuscany, the ANSA news agency said.
The identity of lottery winners seldom becomes public in Italy, where the biggest prize won before Saturday’s draw was 100.7 million euros, which went last October to the holder of a ticket bought in Sicily.
Saturday’s prize topped what is believed to be the previous highest lottery win in Europe when a 25-year-old Spanish woman in May won 126 million euros.
Superenalotto draws in Italy are held three times a week, usually on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and until Saturday no-one had hit the big jackpot (which increases each week) since Jan 31, 2009.
The Superenalotto lottery attracted millions of punters undaunted by the odds of winning that were estimated at about one in 622 million.
Betting fever also spread abroad with people from neighbouring countries such as France, Switzerland and Austria, hopping across the border to Italy just to buy a ticket.
Popular tabloid newspapers in Germany and Belgium ran their own competitions offering winners free air tickets to fly to Italy to buy Superenalotto tickets.
- 2 lottery winners bought tickets from same shop - Dec 29, 2010
- Beijing man hits $90 mn jackpot - Jun 13, 2012
- Briton wins $98 mn lottery share - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches record $500 million - Mar 29, 2012
- Lottery fever hits as 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches $540 million - Mar 30, 2012
- Briton scoops 148-mn-pound jackpot - Aug 11, 2012
- Winners of Spain Christmas lottery to share $5.2 mn - Dec 24, 2011
- Ticketholder in Britain wins 41 mn pound jackpot - Jan 22, 2012
- Winner still to collect $18 mn jackpot prize - Sep 16, 2010
- Chinese man wins 259 mn yuan in lottery - Aug 11, 2010
- Christmas Eve luckiest day for winning lottery - Dec 24, 2010
- Belgian wins 15 mn euros in lottery - Sep 17, 2011
- Holly Lahti: Winner Of $190 Million In Idaho Lottery - Jan 13, 2011
- Brit couple beat 196 trillion to 1 odd after matching lotto numbers twice - Feb 09, 2011
- Lady Luck smiles on labour, honesty takes spotlight - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: 5 million, air tickets, ansa news agency, dpa, eight months, fever, lottery winners, lucky ticket, neighbouring countries, number combination, record lottery jackpot, saturdays, sicily, spanish woman, state lottery, superenalotto, tabloid newspapers, three times, thursdays, tuscany