Italian economy contracts in Q3December 22nd, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Dec 22 (IANS) Italy’s GDP in the third quarter of 2011 dropped by 0.2 percent from the second quarter, marking the first contraction for almost two years, said the country’s national statistics agency Istat Wednesday.
In the third quarter, household spending also fell by 0.2 percent and investment contracted 0.6 percent, while exports rose by 1.6 percent and imports were down 1.1 percent, reported Xinhua.
Istat said Italy’ overall growth for 2011 was expected to be 0.5 percent.
Premier Mario Monti’s new emergency government is to face a final vote in parliament on its 30-billion-euro (about $40 billion) austerity plan aimed to keep the country afloat in the debt crisis.
The tax increases imposed by the plan, which marks the third austerity package this year, will likely deepen the contraction, local analysts said.
According to the country’s leading industrial association Confindustria, Italy’s GDP will contract 1.6 percent in the year 2012.
Last week, Italian Development Minister Corrado Passera noted that the country’s current economical situation was “worse” than the cabinet of technocrats expected when it was appointed about a month ago.
It was necessary to restore confidence in growth and revive domestic consumption heavily penalized by heavy taxes of the austerity measures, the national retailers’ association Confesercenti said in a statement.
A contraction of the Italian economy in the last three months of this year would mark the second quarterly contraction, which technically means a recession.
- Italy's industrial production rose in November - Jan 13, 2012
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- `Italy is in recession' - Feb 16, 2012
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- Unemployment rate highest in nine years in Italy - Apr 03, 2012
- One in four Italians face poverty due to recession - May 24, 2011
- Consumer confidence rises in Italy - Mar 27, 2012
- Employment growth stagnates in Italy amid weak economy - Aug 03, 2011
- Italy's 2011 debt-to-GDP ratio at record levels - Mar 03, 2012
- India showed strong growth amid global slowdown: IMF - Mar 15, 2012
- India growth increased strongly in Q4: IMF - Mar 14, 2012
- Britain's GDP drops - Feb 25, 2012
- Italy's GDP to drop in 2012 - May 23, 2012
- Recession-hit Italian hotels report fewer guests in 2012 - Sep 07, 2012
- Italian police clamp down on tax evaders - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: austerity, confindustria, contraction, corrado passera, debt crisis, development minister, domestic consumption, economical situation, emergency government, household spending, istat, italian development, italian economy, leading industrial, mario monti, national retailers association, national statistics agency, technocrats, xinhua, year 2012