IT major IBM to enter mobile application segmentJune 17th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) Targeting users of business and smart phones, computer services major IBM Wednesday announced a $100-million investment in the mobile services space globally, including India.
“IBM is investing to create technology in its labs that brings simple, easy-to-use services to the millions of people who have bypassed the personal computer as their primary method of accessing the Internet, and instead use their mobile devices for conducting financial transactions, entertainment, shopping and more,” IBM said in a statement.
The company, however, did not specify the investment earmarked for India, where it has offices in 14 cities. “We do not divulge investments for individual countries,” an IBM India spokesperson told IANS.
After 130 years of existence that saw IBM manufacturing diverse products ranging from guns to calculators, the latest decision marks its entry into the growing mobile applications market.
Although smart phones have been available for several years, mobile software and services are still in their infancy.
“In today’s inter-connected world, mobile device are gradually becoming ubiquitous and helping us transcend many boundaries - geographical, economic and social,” said Guruduth Banavar, global leader of IBM research mobile communication initiative.
- Huawei to launch 10 to 12 new products - Jun 16, 2011
- Pitroda creation creates waves in mobile commerce market - Aug 06, 2011
- IBM unveils new virtual desktop solution in India - May 11, 2011
- 'Nokia regaining lost ground in handset market' - Jun 07, 2012
- Bharti Airtel in deal with IBM for IT solutions to African employees - Jul 12, 2011
- Today is the IBM PC's 30th birthday - Aug 12, 2011
- IBM to manage Bharti Airtel's IT operations in Africa - Sep 17, 2010
- Information officers in India most focused globally: IBM study - Nov 19, 2009
- MVAS to create Rs.48,000 crore business opportunity by 2015 - Jul 06, 2012
- 141 mn people to use mobiles for payments: Gartner - Jul 21, 2011
- Phones to beat computers for surfing net in China - Jul 03, 2012
- Huawei to design mobile handsets for Indian market - Jun 15, 2011
- Taiwan's Mediatek brings Facebook to entry level phones - Nov 08, 2011
- China's smartphone firms warned of patent disputes - Apr 15, 2012
- Sony unveils smart phones for upward mobile - May 24, 2012
Tags: 100 million, boundaries, calculators, communication initiative, computer services, diverse products, financial transactions, global leader, infancy, mobile application, mobile applications, mobile communication, mobile device, mobile devices, mobile services, mobile software, New Delhi, personal computer, smart phones, spokesperson