Israel concerned over `SS-style’ advertisement campaignMarch 23rd, 2009 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, March 23 (DPA) Israeli diplomats in China have raised concerns over a national business awards contest with a logo that looks similar to the Nazi SS insignia, a news report said Monday.
Billboard posters for the China Top Brand awards scheme have appeared in Hong Kong with a logo that looks similar to the lightning-strike style insignia used by the German SS, a powerful paramilitary organisation responsible for many of the Nazi’s worst crimes.
Guy Kivetz, press officer for the Israeli embassy in Beijing, told the South China Morning Post he believed the logo was unintentional and was not meant to look like the SS insignia.
However, he said: “We intend to raise the matter with the organisation as soon as possible to explain the sensitivity.”
“It is important to understand the award, as well as the Chinese people in general, is not suspected of being anti-Semitic in any way or form,” Kivetz stressed.
“There is no anti-Semitism in China and the attitudes towards Jews, in the past and in the present, were, and still are, always very positive.”
The newspaper said it was unable to get a response from the organisation running the awards scheme, which recognises China’s best examples of business branding.
Ignorance over the sensitivity of Nazi-style logos and symbols in Asia, where many people have little knowledge of the holocaust, has led to incidents in the past.
A Hitler-themed pub in Hong Kong with walls covered in pictures of the former German leader along with Word War II scenes caused an outcry five years ago that led to the pictures being removed.
- People find Italian 'Hitler' wine bottles offensive - Aug 09, 2012
- Israel President denies calling British 'anti-Semites' - Aug 02, 2010
- Madonna may face lawsuit in France over Nazi symbol - Jun 05, 2012
- Exhibition showing Nazi-era Berlin reopened - Aug 24, 2010
- Glenn Beck Under Fire For His 'Insensitive Observations' On The Billionaire, George Soros, And The Holocaust - Nov 14, 2010
- Document provides proof of French Nazi leader's anti-Semitism: Expert - Oct 04, 2010
- Film on Nazi sparks controversy in Germany - Feb 19, 2010
- Ke$ha says no to 'Nazi' dancewear - Nov 17, 2010
- 'Judaism' most popular religion in the US - Dec 25, 2010
- Oliver Stone in soup over comments on Jews, Hitler - Jul 27, 2010
- Trade fair in Mumbai to bring Hong Kong brands to India - Oct 07, 2010
- Rachel Zoe upset with Galliano's racist remarks - Mar 11, 2011
- Committed to 'one country, two systems', says China - Jul 02, 2012
- Israeli pageant crowns Miss Holocaust Survivor - Jun 29, 2012
- 'When Love Comes' wins best film at the Golden Horse award - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: advertisement campaign, anti semitism, awards scheme, business awards, china morning post, german leader, german ss, israeli embassy, kivetz, lightning strike, little knowledge, national business, nazi ss, nazi style, paramilitary organisation, south china morning, south china morning post, ss style, style logos, word war ii