Iran to test its first nuclear power plant WednesdayFebruary 25th, 2009 - 8:08 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 25 (IANS) Iran will test its first nuclear power plant Wednesday near the Persian Gulf city of Bushehr.
The Russian-built nuclear power plant, some 15 km south of Bushehr City, is expected to generate 1,000 megawatt of electricity.
A Russian delegation, led by the country’s state atomic corporation Rosatom chief Sergei Kiriyenko, arrived here early Wednesday to oversee the test run of the plant, IRNA reported.
Kiriyenko is expected to attend a joint press conference with Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation (AEO) chief Reza Aqazadeh after visiting the site. The exact date of the commissioning of the plant will be announced Wednesday.
AEO’s spokesman Mohsen Delaviz said the Russian experts would be in Bushehr for another year to help in the plant’s operation as per the agreement with Iran.
In 1974, a Germany company had initially started the work on the project but abandoned it following Iran’s Islamic revolution in 1979.
A Russian company called “Atomstroyexport” signed a contract in 1995 to complete the project.
Russia has supplied nuclear fuel for the plant between December 2007 and January 2008 under the supervision of the UN nuclear watchdog IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency). Iran has agreed to return the spent nuclear fuel to Russia.
Western countries have accused Iran of having plans for developing nuclear bombs, but Tehran insists its nuclear programme is only to generate energy for civilian purposes.
- Iran launches Bushehr nuclear power plant - Sep 12, 2011
- Iran willing to work with Russia on more power plants - Mar 26, 2012
- Iran plans test run of Bushehr nuclear plant Wednesday - Feb 24, 2009
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Russia to help Bangladesh build n-power plant - Nov 02, 2011
- Iran n-plant to switch to full capacity in May - May 04, 2012
- Iran's first nuclear power plant opens - Aug 21, 2010
- Iran n-plant supplies 940 MW electricity - Apr 30, 2012
- Tests conducted on Iran's n-plant turbines - Aug 24, 2011
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant to begin operations in 2012 - May 15, 2012
- Russians confirm Iran nuke reactor damage - Mar 01, 2011
- Iran, Russia discuss 10-year nuclear fuel delivery - Feb 26, 2009
- Iran's first n-plant to come online Aug 21 - Aug 13, 2010
- Iran's Bushehr plant to produce 1,000 MW electricity - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: aeo, atomic energy agency, bushehr, civilian purposes, first nuclear power plant, germany company, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, islamic revolution, megawatt, mohsen, nuclear bombs, nuclear fuel, nuclear power plant, persian gulf, russian company, russian delegation, russian experts, sergei kiriyenko, western countries