Iran ready for bilateral deal on oil payments: EnvoyFebruary 8th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Iran will consider a bilateral agreement with India for payment of oil supplies, if the current arrangement of routing transactions through a Germany-based bank does not fall through, Iranian ambassador to India Seyed Mahdi Nabizadeh said here Tuesday.In December 2010, Reserve Bank of India had banned Indian firms from using the Asian Clearing Union (ACU) to pay for oil imports from Iran. After negotiations, both countries agreed that India could pay for Iranian crude through European-Iranian Trade Bank AG.
But, with the bank also under US sanctions, the Iranian envoy suggested that his country was ready to have a bilateral agreement for payments, just as it had with other nations like South Korea and China.
“It is a technical mechanism that they (India and Iran) have to discuss,” said Nabizadeh told reporters here. He added that he was satisfied with the current solution of payments.
On the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline, he said that India can still join and get half of the gas supplied through the proposed 60 mcm capacity pipeline.
He said that the project should not be just looked at purely from economic perspective, but as one which will have a positive impact in the region.
- India, Iran firm up oil payment mechanism (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- India to pay Iran for oil through German central bank - Feb 25, 2011
- Iranian Ambassador to India offers alternative pacts in oil import policy - Feb 08, 2011
- India, Iran resolve oil payment row - Aug 01, 2011
- India hopes to resolve oil payments issue with Iran soon (Roundup) - Dec 31, 2010
- India, Iran hold talks to end oil payment row - Oct 05, 2011
- Iran to India: There is time limit to join pipeline - Feb 09, 2010
- Iran oil payment row: India denies acting under US pressure - Dec 31, 2010
- Iran to ask India for spurring tri-nation pipeline - Aug 27, 2012
- RBI keen on finding solution to Iran payment crisis (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Gas from TAPI likely to flow in five years: Official - Aug 18, 2012
- India, Iran seal oil payment mechanism - Feb 07, 2012
- 11,000 km of LNG pipelines laid so far - Aug 21, 2012
- India discussing solutions for Iran payment crisis - Dec 30, 2010
- Iran to export natural gas to India, Oman - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: bank of india, bilateral agreement, china, current solution, economic perspective, gas pipeline, germany, iran pakistan, iranian ambassador, mahdi, mcm, negotiations, New Delhi, oil imports, oil supplies, pakistan india, reserve bank of india, seyed, south korea