Iran plans test run of Bushehr nuclear plant WednesdayFebruary 24th, 2009 - 3:10 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 24 (RIA Novosti) Iran has said it will turn on its Russian-built nuclear power plant in the Persian Gulf city of Bushehr for a test run Wednesday.
A test run of the Bushehr nuclear plant will be conducted Feb 25 in the presence of Russia’s atomic energy corporation Rosatom head Sergei Kiriyenko and Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation (AEO) chief Gholam Reza Aghazadeh, an AEO spokesman said.
The Bushehr nuclear plant, being built with Russia’s assistance, was originally scheduled for completion by the end of 2006.
Though Russia has cited financial problems for the delay, it has been suggested that Moscow was delaying the work due to Western suspicions that the plant may be used for making nuclear bombs.
Iran insists that its nuclear programme is only to generate energy for civilian purposes.
Russia has supplied nuclear fuel for the plant between December 2007 and January 2008 under the supervision of the UN nuclear watchdog IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency). Iran has agreed to return the spent nuclear fuel to Russia.
The $1 billion Bushehr plant is being built under a contract signed by the two countries in 1998.
Earlier, Iran’s Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki had said that the plant would be operational in the first half of 2009.
- Iran launches Bushehr nuclear power plant - Sep 12, 2011
- Iran's first nuclear power plant opens - Aug 21, 2010
- Iran willing to work with Russia on more power plants - Mar 26, 2012
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran to test its first nuclear power plant Wednesday - Feb 25, 2009
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant to begin operations in 2012 - May 15, 2012
- Iran n-plant to switch to full capacity in May - May 04, 2012
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant almost ready: Russia - Jun 19, 2011
- Iran n-plant to start operation by year-end - Aug 14, 2011
- Russians confirm Iran nuke reactor damage - Mar 01, 2011
- Iran's first n-plant to come online Aug 21 - Aug 13, 2010
- Iran n-plant supplies 940 MW electricity - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran to remove fuel from its first nuclear power plant - Feb 27, 2011
- Tests conducted on Iran's n-plant turbines - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: aeo, atomic energy agency, atomic energy corporation, civilian purposes, foreign minister, gholam reza, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, iran plans, manouchehr mottaki, nuclear bombs, nuclear fuel, nuclear plant, nuclear power plant, persian gulf, ria novosti, rosatom, sergei kiriyenko, suspicions, watchdog