Iran calls for emergency OPEC meetingOctober 19th, 2008 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Ahvaz (Iran), Oct 19 (IANS) Iran’s oil minister Saturday called for an emergency meeting of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) to discuss production cuts, saying this was the only way to prevent crude prices from falling further, the official IRNA News agency reported.”The only way to stop the downturn (falling of oil prices) is to trim OPEC output,” Gholamhossein Nozari told reporters at the Ahvaz oil faculty in the oil-rich southern province of Khuzestan.
“The downturn of the oil prices is resulted by the ongoing economic crisis as well as reduction of demand,” said the minister, whose country is the second biggest producer in OPEC after Saudi Arabia.
Nozari said that OPEC is expected to strike a balance between supply and demand and help stabilize and increase oil prices in the world market.
The meeting is likely be held next Friday, Nozari said without disclosing its venue meeting. However, media reports said Vienna could be the possible venue. Oil prices have tumbled to half of their July peak of $147 a barrel.
Iran wants the price for its crude to be fixed between $70 and $75 a barrel.
On Friday, the benchmark US crude was trading at around $72.
- OPEC not to further cut oil output: Iranian minister - Mar 01, 2009
- OPEC daily basket price hits $97.34 per barrel - Jun 13, 2012
- OPEC cartel faced with future risks in its 50th year - Sep 10, 2010
- OPEC oil prices continue to rise - Mar 13, 2012
- `Iran's oil production to fall 500,000 barrels per day' - Apr 11, 2012
- OPEC expects increase in 2013 world crude oil demand - Jul 12, 2012
- OPEC oil price keeps fluctuating - Nov 08, 2011
- 'EU sanctions on Iran may push oil prices to $150' - Jan 30, 2012
- Venezuela surpasses Saudi Arabia in oil reserves - Jul 20, 2011
- Global oil market oversupplied: Iran - Nov 30, 2008
- OPEC oil price slides to $68.86 - Feb 09, 2010
- Pay compensation for ending oil contracts: Iran - Feb 20, 2012
- OPEC lowers demand outlook despite supply rise - May 13, 2009
- Venezuela aims to boost oil output - Dec 21, 2011
- Explosion in Iran oil pipeline - Aug 05, 2011