IPO guidelines for insurance firms by month-end: IRDA chiefApril 11th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) will issue final guidelines governing initial public offerings (IPOs) of insurance companies by the this month end, regulatory authority chairman J. Harinarayan said Monday.
This is essential as the investors need to be fully aware of the financial performance, company profile, risk exposure, corporate governance system in place and the management of insurance companies taking the IPO route to raise funds, IRDA chairman Harinarayan said at a conference organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) here.
He said the regulatory authority would also give its report on the Insurance Law (Amendment Bill) 2008 by the end of April.
The bill, when enacted into law, would allow greater flexibility to the insurance regulator and aim at consolidating the gains and deepen insurance penetration and density in the country, he said.
“The changes in the regulatory environment being contemplated will not bring in more regulation, but better regulation of the insurance sector with a view to widening and deepening the market,” Harinarayan said after inaugurating FICCI’s 14th conference on insurance.
On growth of insurance industry, he said annuity products would be in great demand in the coming years.
An annuity is a long-term retirement savings vehicle issued by a life insurance company designed to help accumulate funds and provide a steady stream of retirement income.
Harinarayan said a major challenge behind the insurance industry was to leverage the strength of 80,000 bank branches in selling insurance products.
- Nothing new for insurance sector: Experts - Feb 28, 2011
- Highest net asset value cover plans are risky: IRDA chief - Sep 15, 2011
- Penalty on HDFC Standard Life seen as warning - Jul 03, 2012
- IPO norms to be out once valuation method is finalised: IRDA chief - Sep 15, 2011
- IRDA plans guidelines to regulate micro-insurance - Jul 06, 2012
- Insurance regulator bracing for spat with judiciary - Feb 14, 2011
- General insurers, with value twice of equity base, can tap public: IRDA - Sep 19, 2012
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance fined Rs.1.47 crore - Jun 28, 2012
- Non-life insurers' merger norms discriminatory: Experts - Jun 12, 2011
- Insurers to discuss revision in health, motor insurance - Jul 03, 2012
- IRDA bans universal life products - Oct 21, 2010
- Insurance regulator tightens norms on equity-linked plans - May 04, 2010
- HDFC Standard Life COO quits - Jul 03, 2012
- Scrapped insurance products bring actuaries in spotlight - Oct 24, 2010
- Parliament okays LIC amendment bill - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: annuity products, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, ficci, governance system, indian chambers of commerce, initial public offerings, insurance firms, insurance regulator, insurance regulatory and development authority, insurance sector, ipo guidelines, law amendment, life insurance company, performance company, retirement income, retirement savings, risk exposure, selling insurance, term retirement