Investors meet on Kerala’s Vizhinjam port next monthMarch 15th, 2010 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 15 (IANS) An investors meet will be held next month for the proposed Vizhinjam port in Kerala and work on the project will start during the tenure of the Left government, Ports Minister M.Vijayakumar told the assembly Monday.
He said the meeting would help identify the investor for the proposed port.
“By November-December, we are confident that the investor would be identified and construction of the port will begin during the tenure of this government itself,” Vijayakumar said. Assembly elections are due in Kerala in May 2011.
The Vizhinjam port is to come up near the famed tourist destination of Kovalam and the proposed site has a natural depth at 24 meters, one of the deepest in the world and hence requires no dredging. It will be located close to a busy international shipping route, and is envisaged to handle 4.1 million containers annually.
The project has been hanging fire for nearly a decade.
It had got the necessary clearances for the second time last year but Hyderabad-based Lanco Kondapalli, which had won the bid to build the port, withdrew from the project, citing indefinite delays and possible legal tangles in the project.
The project cost was then envisaged at Rs.53.48 billion.
The state government has committed to develop the basic infrastructure, which includes rail and road connectivity to the port site, and has set aside Rs.450 crore for the purpose.
This would be undertaken by the government-run Vizhinjam International Sea Port Ltd.
- Infrastructure work on proposed Kerala port launched - Aug 16, 2010
- 'No fund crunch for Kerala port project' - Apr 30, 2011
- Consortium of banks sought for Vizhinjam port - Nov 16, 2010
- Kerala to float global tender for Vizhinjam port next year - Oct 14, 2009
- Shipping corporation to bid for proposed Vizhinjam port - Jul 16, 2011
- Proposed Vizhinjam Port clears another hurdle - Feb 01, 2012
- Proposed Vizhinjam Port suffers setback - Jan 04, 2012
- Vizhinjam port must go ahead, say Kerala parties - Jun 25, 2009
- Kerala opposition seeks probe into port work award - Dec 11, 2008
- Chief Minister's son involved in corrupt deal: Kerala legislator - Dec 16, 2008
- Supreme Court asks Kerala to accept Zoom's Vizhinjam port tender - Feb 10, 2009
- Kerala's stranded mega projects set to revive - Sep 11, 2011
- Kerala High Court stays Vizhinjam port development - Dec 04, 2008
- Vizhinjam port project likely to get delayed further - Jun 19, 2009
- Kerala cabinet to decide on Vizhinjam port contract - Apr 28, 2009
Tags: 1 million, assembly elections, connectivity, containers, crore, hanging fire, international sea, international shipping route, kovalam, lanco, legal tangles, necessary clearances, ports, sea port, second time, state government, tenure, tourist destination, vijayakumar, vizhinjam port