Investors lap up Tata scrip before Nano launchMarch 23rd, 2009 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 23 (IANS) Ahead of the launch of the world’s cheapest car Nano, the Tata Motors scrip shot up over eight percent in Monday morning trade.
The commercial roll-out of the small car will take place around 4.30 p.m. in Mumbai at a ceremony in the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower, a hotel partially destroyed by terrorist attacks last November.
The Tata Motors stock, which opened higher at Rs.168.75, soon went up eight percent to touch an intra-day high of Rs.173.85.
Around 11 a.m., the scrip had settled down at Rs.168.60, still trading about 4.8 percent higher than its previous close.
Showcasing the Nano prototype last year, Tata Motors had announced that it would cost Rs.100,000 ($2,000) at the factory gate - cheaper than any other car on the road now.
The four-door, five-seat car has a 33-bhp engine at the rear and is targeted at the Indian middle class population that aspires to trade its two-wheelers for the Nano.
Analysts were however sceptical about Nano providing the much needed succour to a debt ridden Tata group as the company would have to sell about 2-3 million cars just to break even.
Tata Sons, the holding company of Tata Motors, is reeling under heavy debt after buying firms like Tetley Tea, Daewoo Commercial Vehicle, Corus Steel and Jaguar/Land Rover.
Analysts said about $2 billion of Tata’s debt is due in June, and the company will have to come up with a plan fast to stem losses.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Despite Nano, Tata Motors scrip falls from day's high (Lead) - Mar 23, 2009
- A factsheet on the Tata Group - Nov 24, 2011
- Tata Communications eyeing British C&W; Worldwide - Mar 01, 2012
- Tata Motors Group's November sales up 35 percent - Dec 15, 2011
- Tata Motors' March global sales up one percent - Apr 15, 2011
- Ratan Tata force behind group's international foray - Nov 24, 2011
- Tata Motors February sales up 19 percent - Mar 01, 2012
- Nano's Gujarat plant to be ready by year-end - Mar 23, 2009
- Tata Motors global sales grows 27 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
- Tata Motors tweaks Nano, claims improved mileage - Nov 21, 2011
- Tata Motors September sales up 24 percent - Oct 14, 2011
- Tata Motors scrip down on concerns over JLR - May 30, 2012
- Tata Motors Q2 consolidated net profit down 15.55 percent - Nov 14, 2011
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- S&P; raises Tata Motors ratings - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: asian news, bhp engine, daewoo, holding company, indo, jg, jj, land rover, last november, launch, middle class, million cars, monday morning, scrip, seat car, small car, taj mahal, tata group, tata motors, tata sons