Infosys shifts focus on developing economiesDecember 9th, 2011 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 9 (IANS) IT giant Infosys is shifting its priorities to increase its revenues from the domestic market, as also other developing economies like China, Malaysia and South Africa on the back of slowdown in the US and Europe, a top executive of the company said Friday.
“We are shifting our priorities to include more revenues from developing economies like India, China, Malaysia and some other developing markets like South Africa. We want to increase our share from developing markets.
“We are investing in India, we are investing in China, we are investing in several countries in Asia,” Infosys Limited executive co-chairman S. Gopalakrishnan told reporters on the sidelines of an event.
He, however, said the shifting of priorities was a slow process. He also said the company will employ an additional 45,000 people by March, 2012.
“About 35,000 to 40,000 have already been recruited,” he said.
He said the global economy was now facing a more difficult situation than in 2008 when a worldwide recession occurred.
“In 2008, all the nations came together, including India. There was a coordinated action which, in fact, brought us recovery. But now, the coordinated action has been more difficult because at that point (in 2008) there was significant opportunity to stimulate the economy by nation states.
“Now, the nation states themselves are in deficit and debt. And thus they are finding it much more difficult to stimulate the economy,” he said.
He, however, said the IT sector has shown resilience in the face of global downturn. “This is the great strength of the industry today,” he added.
- Indian IT industry concerned over global economic crisis - Jun 21, 2011
- Infosys to start new campus in Shanghai - May 21, 2011
- Infosys among top service providers in China - Jul 13, 2012
- US, Europe on recovery path: Infosys Kris - Mar 08, 2012
- Infosys braces to face twin challenges of clients - Jun 09, 2012
- Infosys targets five percent revenue from government contracts - Jun 14, 2010
- Infosys upbeat on growth but cautious on IT spending - Jul 12, 2011
- India to focus on infrastructure-led growth at G20 (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- BRICS cooperation to benefit Africa: expert - Apr 11, 2011
- Indian IT industry can bounce to double-digit growth: Infosys (Interview) - Oct 12, 2009
- Buoyant Indian IT industry rebounds but remains cautious (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 30, 2010
- US to intensify exports to India, China - Dec 16, 2011
- Infosys to set up second campus in Thiruvananthapuram - Apr 04, 2012
- India to share 10 percent of Forevermark global sales - Jul 21, 2012
- Infosys' Kolkata centre in six months - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: co chairman, countries in asia, developing economies, europe, global downturn, global economy, gopalakrishnan, india china, infosys limited, investing in china, investing in india, nation states, priorities, resilience, shifts focus, sidelines, slowdown, south africa, top executive, worldwide recession