Infosys bags IT project from Karnataka power utilitiesDecember 24th, 2009 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Dec 24 (IANS) IT bellwether Infosys Technologies has bagged a multi-billion-rupee IT project from the state’s power distribution utilities, a top official said Thursday.
“Since Infosys emerged as the lowest bidder for the IT project, it has been awarded the contract,” Karnataka Power Transmission Corp managing director Latha Krishna Rau told IANS.
Though Rau declined to give the value of the contract, a source at Bescom, one of the power utilities, said it was about Rs.390 crore (Rs.3.9 billion/$83 million).
Top Infosys officials were not reachable to confirm the deal.
The project has to be implemented over the next two years in urban areas across the state under the Accelerated Power Development and Reform Programme (APDRP) of the Union power ministry.
“The objective of the project is to automate the various interfaces with software-hardware solutions and substantially reduce T&D (transmission and distribution) losses to end-users through a dynamic management information system,” Rau said.
According to state principal secretary (energy) K. Jairaj, the average T&D loss in the state is around 23 percent.
“Our target is to bring down the T&D loss to 15 percent in the next two years,” Jairaj said.
The state government had constituted four electricity supply companies in 2002 for efficient distribution of power in different regions of the state.
- Public power transmission companies face losses: Shinde - Nov 22, 2010
- Areva T&D; restructuring to be over by early 2012 - Aug 06, 2011
- Areva T&D; signs pact with Power Grid Corporation - Jul 25, 2011
- Pay market price of power, Omar tells grumbling people - Jun 21, 2012
- Tamil Nadu framing policy for rooftop solar power generation - Oct 19, 2010
- States, regulators blamed for power losses - Apr 28, 2010
- Indian power industry poised for major growth: Shinde - Jan 19, 2012
- India's power production falls short by 2.7 percent - Mar 12, 2010
- Infrastructure projects bottlenecks to be removed: Chidambaram - Aug 06, 2012
- L&T; eyes 20 percent growth in electrical, automation business - Jun 13, 2011
- Bangalore blinks for hour to save earth - Apr 01, 2012
- Areva to start talks with French firms to sell distribution firm - Dec 01, 2009
- L&T forms JV for power transmission in South Africa - Sep 23, 2010
- Cabinet approves National Electricity Fund (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Karnataka looks beyond Bangalore to promote tourism - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: apdrp, bellwether, bescom, crore, different regions, distribution losses, distribution utilities, dynamic management, electricity supply companies, hardware solutions, infosys technologies, jairaj, krishna rau, management information system, power distribution, power utilities, principal secretary, reform programme, target, union power ministry