Inflation will come down to 7 percent by March: PM (Second Lead)February 24th, 2011 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) Admitting that inflation was a “matter of concern”, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday expressed hope that it would come down to seven percent by March.”Inflation in the last 18 months has become a problem. We stand committed to control inflation,” Manmohan Singh told the Lok Sabha, replying to a debate on the motion of thanks on the president’s address.
“By the end of this fiscal year (March), I hope the inflation will come down to seven percent… I expect the food inflation to go down as well… I expect the situation to improve,” the prime minister said.
Later, in his reply to similar debate in the Rajya Sabha, the prime minister said the government will make its best effort to move the Food Security Bill during the current session of parliament.
“We hope to bring in this session the Food Security Bill which will give the people constitutional right to food,” the prime minister said, adding, “Inflation hurts the weakest section, we have to strengthen the PDS (public distribution system).”
He also said that despite the price rise, the prices of food grain, including wheat and rice, had not been raised in the PDS.
Talking about the international market, Manmohan Singh said that in view of reports of a poor wheat crop in China, the international food prices may spurt.
“According to reports, the Chinese wheat crop has failed,” he said, adding that India need not fear as adequate stock of food grain is available.
The prime minister also assured the house that the government will focus on increasing agriculture production.
“There are commodities that we can control the prices of, like cereals. We have been able to stabilise the prices of cereals and grains. We can control inflation but in a manner that we do not adversely affect the growth process. Inflation can be controlled by increasing agricultural production and investing in agriculture,” he added.
- Inflation will come down to 7 percent by March: PM (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 11.49 percent - Feb 24, 2011
- Food inflation dips as poultry, veggie prices drop - Mar 17, 2011
- Milk, vegetables, meat prices keep food inflation high - Mar 03, 2011
- Food inflation dips but milk, vegetables, meat prices still high - Mar 10, 2011
- Inflation to come down to 7 pc by March, says Montek - Feb 04, 2011
- Winter session extended; Lokpal, food bills to be moved Thursday (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Deficit monsoon: PM directs weekly monitoring - Jul 23, 2012
- Rethink food security bill: Pawar - Oct 19, 2011
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Right to Food campaign demands universal PDS - Nov 01, 2011
- Concerns on food bill to be addressed: Thomas - Feb 09, 2012
- Every step being taken to tame inflation: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Food Security: Inconceivable without agricultural growth - Mar 18, 2011
- Government favours growth with moderate inflation: Mukherjee (Intro Roundup) - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,