Inflation jumps in ItalyFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 23 (IANS/AKI) The Italian inflation jumped as the rising cost of fuel and housing in January were the main factors that pushed up prices for consumers in the European Union’s fourth-richest country.
Prices rose 3.2 percent in January over the same month last year and 0.3 percent from December, national statistics agency Istat reported.
Italians are facing hard times with their country mired in recession and after their government passed tax-hikes and other painful economic measures to balance the budget and reduce 1.9 trillion euros in debt.
The price of housing, gas and power in January jumped 7.4 percent over the same month in 2011, while it cost Italians 2.4 percent more to fill their shopping carts with pasta, mozzarella and other food, Istat said.
The data was compiled using a national gauge for inflation. Using a pan-European Union method, January inflation rose 3.4 percent over 2011, Istat said.
- Unemployment rate highest in nine years in Italy - Apr 03, 2012
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- Italy's unemployment rate drops - Aug 31, 2010
- High inflation smothers salaries in Italy - Apr 25, 2012
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- Italian ministers post salaries online - Feb 22, 2012
- Unemployed Italians become shepherds - May 03, 2012
- Consumer sentiment rises in Italy - Nov 25, 2011
- Unemployment rises in Italy - Nov 01, 2011
- One in four Italians face poverty due to recession - May 24, 2011
- Over one-fifth of young Italians neither study nor work - Jan 20, 2011
- Italian MPs are top earners in Europe - Jan 04, 2012
- Pizza, cappuccino prices in Italy doubled with euro - Dec 30, 2011
- Italian business confidence falls - Feb 28, 2012
- Economic downturn hits family spending in Italy - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,