‘Inflation hitting steel sector’July 16th, 2008 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) Rising inflation and inclusive growth are among the factors affecting growth of the domestic steel industry, Sushim Banerjee, executive director (commercial) of the state-owned Steel Authority of India (SAIL), said at an industry conclave here Wednesday. Making a presentation at the Indian Steel Conclave 2008, Banerjee said: “Rising inflation, income disparity and inclusive growth are the areas of concern for the steel industry”.
He also expressed concern over the “lack of investment in agriculture and burgeoning fiscal reforms that were needed to channelise savings into investment”.
The conclave was organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry, a leading industry lobby.
In his presentation, Essar Steel Holdings director for global sales and marketing Vikram Amin said there was a need to have improved availability of iron ore, ferro alloys and energy to boost the Indian steel industry.
Amin called for “leasing of iron ore mines to the private sector and priority gas allocation to the steel sector”.
- Steel production to rise if land, mining bills passed - Dec 15, 2011
- Goa not in iron deposit intensive areas list - Jan 12, 2012
- Paswan warns steel retail manipulators, giants want price revision (Lead) - Jul 16, 2008
- Steel Minister visits IITF 2009 pavilion - Nov 18, 2009
- Industry happy over iron ore export duty hike - Feb 28, 2011
- Steel ministry subsidy scheme for iron ore processing - Mar 26, 2012
- Iron ore exports from India dipping: China - Nov 17, 2011
- Tata Steel launches branded Silico Manganese - Aug 22, 2012
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
- India, Korea trade set to double in next five years - Feb 22, 2011
- Top corporates welcome budget 2011-12 - Feb 28, 2011
- Inflation still at 'unacceptable' level: Pranab - Dec 15, 2011
- Odisha reiterates demand to ban iron ore export - Nov 16, 2011
- Manufacturing industry growth remains moderate: Report - Jul 10, 2011
- Tata Steel's Jamshedpur plant to be modernised - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: amin, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, conclave, domestic steel industry, essar steel, factors affecting growth, ferro alloys, fiscal reforms, global sales, income disparity, indian chambers of commerce, indian steel industry, inflation, iron ore mines, New Delhi, private sector, sales and marketing, steel authority, steel sector