Industry happy over iron ore export duty hikeFebruary 28th, 2011 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 28 (IANS) Finance minister Pranab Mukherjee’s proposal to enhance export duty for all types of iron ore got the thumbs up from the industry, but export duty exemption for iron pellets was greeted with concern.Mukherjee Monday announced the enhanced rate of export duty for all types of iron ore at a unified 20 percent in his federal budget speech in parliament.
Shyam Sundar Beriwal, the chairman of the Rs.1,000 crore Shyam Steel, hailed the finance minister’s announcement to enhance export duty on iron ore.
“It will benefit the country’s steel industry when the sector is facing raw material crisis. It is a good announcement,” he said.
He, however, said full exemption of export duty on iron ore pellets was not a welcome move.
“Iron ore mine owners already have monopoly. The proposal of exempting iron ore pellets from excise duty will have an adverse effect on domestic iron industry as it will further rise raw material crisis,” Beriwal said.
Merchant’s Chamber of Commerce Iron and Still Committee chairman Santosh Bajaj said: “It is a very good step to increase the rate of export duty for all types of iron ore. It was our long standing demand. Export of iron ore cannot be banned completely. The steel industry was suggesting hike in export duty on iron ore. So the move is in the interest of the steel industry.
“Availability of raw materials like iron ore is beneficial for the domestic market. It is a welcome move,” he added.
- Steel ministry subsidy scheme for iron ore processing - Mar 26, 2012
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
- Bengal's secondary steel sector face raw material shortage - Jan 26, 2011
- India Inc welcomes budget 2011-12 - Feb 28, 2011
- Hike in iron ore export duty irks Goa mining industry - Jan 04, 2012
- Ban export of ore with 60 percent iron content: ASSOCHAM - Jul 20, 2010
- Relief for cinema industry as film rolls gets duty rebate - Feb 28, 2011
- Goa's tourism, mining sectors sulk at budget proposals - Feb 28, 2011
- Karnataka steel industry seeks more iron ore - Sep 29, 2011
- Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW Steel - Jan 10, 2012
- Banning iron ore export makes no economic sense, says FIMI - Aug 03, 2010
- 'Mining ban hits iron ore supply to foundries' - Feb 29, 2012
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- Iron ore exports from India dipping: China - Nov 17, 2011
- Health budget 'reassuring', welcomed by industry - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: adverse effect, bajaj, budget speech, duty hike, excise duty, federal budget, finance minister, industry availability, iron industry, iron ore pellets, iron pellets, move iron, pranab mukherjee, raw material, santosh, shyam, steel industry, sundar, types of iron ore, welcome move