Industry chamber observes UN anti-graft dayDecember 13th, 2010 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) American Chamber of Commerce in India (Amcham) observed the UN global anti-corruption day Monday to create awareness on business ethics and integrity issues.”Radical changes without accompanying enforcement mechanisms will do little to change the situation. In addition, it is critical that private industry comes together and adheres to a strict code of conduct and insists on ethical corporate behaviour by its members,” a statement said.
India’s rank on Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index (CPI) is 87 out of 178 countries surveyed this year, indicating a serious corruption problem. It is an indication that the country continues to be perceived as corrupt, like in the past.
The corporate sector needs to create awareness of the economic cost of corruption and the steep price paid by the country as a whole, US embassy representative Andrea Susana M. Donnally said.
India has been rocked by a series of scandals with allegations against state and central ministers.
The 23-day-long winter session of parliament could not function on any day other than the inaugural day Nov 9 due to opposition protests over the demand for a joint parliamentary committee probe into the 2G spectrum scandal, which according to the report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), caused huge notional losses to the public exchequer.
- No loss in coal block allocations: Government (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- CAG reports creating suspicion, distrust: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- BJP betraying people's confidence, says Rahman Khan - Aug 24, 2012
- CPI-ML attacks Nitish government on corruption - Apr 08, 2011
- PM may address nation Monday on coal scam: Congress - Aug 26, 2012
- CAG dismisses coal scam report, says no loss to exchequer (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Congress to take Chhattisgarh's coal mining expose to public - Apr 16, 2012
- CAG report on coal block allocation flawed: Government - Aug 24, 2012
- Wide-ranging inquiry by PAC not required: JPC chief - Mar 15, 2011
- Government committed to strengthening CAG, asserts PM (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Coal scandal smoulders, 'PM quit' chorus grows louder (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- CAG's performance not up to the mark: Moily - Sep 13, 2010
- BJP seeks PM's resignation over CAG report on coal blocks (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Indian mining sector under stress: Tata Steel chief - Aug 21, 2012
- CAG not exceeding its limitations, says Pranab - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: amcham, american chamber of commerce, business ethics, comptroller and auditor general, corporate behaviour, corporate sector, corruption perception index, corruption problem, donnally, enforcement mechanisms, ethics and integrity, index cpi, integrity issues, long winter, opposition protests, parliamentary committee, steep price, strict code, transparency international, winter session