Industrial output sluggish in December, grows at 1.8 percentFebruary 10th, 2012 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) Pulled down by negative capital goods production, India’s industrial output in December grew at a snail’s pace at 1.8 percent, underlining the slowdown in the economy and putting pressure on policymakers to take steps to stem the fall.
In the previous month, the index of industrial production (IIP) — a barometer of factory production — had risen by 5.9 percent raising hopes of an end to the economic slowdown.
But Thursday’s data brought back the focus on the fragile state of the economy. It will also put pressure on the Reserve Bank of India to start lowering interest rates earlier than it may want to.
According to data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, capital goods production fell by a whopping 16.5 percent.
Manufacturing, which is a major constituent of the IIP, expanded by just 1.8 percent in December, while the mining sector’s output declined by 3.7 percent. Electricity generation was, however, robust at 9.1 percent.
However, the chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council, C. Rangarajan was optimistic of a revival in the rest of the current fiscal.
“I believe that in the month of January, February and March, there could be a revival,” said Rangarajan.
- Industrial output rebounds in January, grows at 6.8 percent - Mar 12, 2012
- India's industrial output up 6.8 percent in January (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- India's industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June - Aug 09, 2012
- Factory output dips by 1.8 percent in June (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- India's industrial output contracts by 3.5 percent in March - May 11, 2012
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- IIP grows 0.1 percent in July, government calls meeting to revive manufacturing (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- India's industrial output rises 8.8 percent in June - Aug 12, 2011
- Industrial output rises in May but recovery probability low (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- As factory output shrinks, India Inc. demands lower interest rates (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- Inflation will remain at same level: Pranab - Apr 17, 2012
- Industrial output rises by 2.4 percent in May (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: bank of india, barometer, c rangarajan, capital goods, constituent, economic advisory council, economic slowdown, electricity generation, fragile state, iip, implementation, interest rates, january february, month of january, New Delhi, pace, policymakers, prime minister, reserve bank of india, revival