Indochina Airlines becomes Vietnam’s first privately owned airlineNovember 25th, 2008 - 4:23 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Among the South-east Asian countries , Vietnam is the first to launch its privately-owner airline which begins on Tuesday.
Owned by a group of Vietnamese businessman, the Indochina Airlines. The airline will operate four daily flights the southern commercial centre of Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, said company spokesman Nguyen Thi Thanh Quyen.
The company, chaired by Ha Hung Dung, a well-known Vietnamese pop music composer and businessman, offers two flights daily between Ho Chi Minh City and the central coastal city of Danang.
‘The launch of our airlines aims to meet growing air travel demand in Vietnam and will offer more choices for customers,’ she said.
Indochina Airlines will be third airline to offer domestic flights in Vietnam, including national carrier Vietnam Airlines and Jetstar Pacific, a partnership between a state-owned carrier and Australia’s Qantas, which is currently holding an 18 per cent stake.
Indochina Airlines has registered capital of US$12 million , Ms Quyen said, and is leasing two 174-seat Boeing 737-800s.
In a few years, the company hopes to add flights to the resort city of Nha Trang and the ancient capital of Hue, and also in the country’s region.
Passenger air travel to and from Vietnam has grown between 13 and 17 per cent annually in recent years, according to Vietnam’s Civil Aviation Administration
- Vietnamese airliner hosts mid-air bikini pageant - Aug 09, 2012
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- With China on mind, Krishna heads to Vietnam - Sep 13, 2011
- Vietnam, India mark 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations - Jan 05, 2012
- Etihad Airways to fly daily to Vietnam - Jul 22, 2012
- Emirates launches flights to Vietnam - Jan 05, 2012
- Jolie's son spends time with grandmother - Nov 23, 2011
- Australian, Chinese airlines start joint venture - Mar 26, 2012
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- Rights group urges Vietnam to release jailed blogger - Aug 11, 2011
- India to help Vietnam enhance, upgrade its armed forces - Oct 13, 2010
- Army Chief to visit Vietnam - Jul 21, 2010
- Vietnamese man to be freed soon from his 90-kilo tumor - Jan 05, 2012
- Six bronze medals for India in Vovinam meet - Aug 03, 2011
- Spain to help fund metro in Vietnam - Dec 16, 2009
Tags: boeing 737, chi minh city, civil aviation administration, coastal city, company spokesman, domestic flights, east asian countries, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, indochina, jetstar, launch, music composer, national carrier, passenger air travel, qantas, south east asian, south east asian countries, travel demand, vietnam airlines