Indo-Bangla trade route changed for securityDecember 2nd, 2011 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 2 (IANS) In order to step up coastal security of India, the Indo-Bangladesh Trade Protocol Route through West Bengal has recently been changed so that it does not cross the Sundarbans, the “major area of concern”, a senior naval officer said Friday.
Due to the security reasons, the customs check post has also been shifted to closer to the Indo-Bangladesh border, said Commodore Brian A Thomas, naval officer-in-charge, West Bengal
“Earlier, the vessels would come 160 km in the internal waters till Namakhana (in Sundarbans) which would take two days to reach. During this transit, we did not know who gets down where,” Thomas told reporters here.
He said the new trade route and customs check post have been operational since the last three months.
The customs check post on the Indo-Bangladesh trade route has been shifted from Namakhana in South 24 Parganas district, to a new border check post at Hemnagar, in North 24 Parganas of the state, which is closer to the border.
Commodore Thomas said the Sundarban areas were the major area of concern for the country’s coastal security as the region was largely unmapped and had a large number of inland waterways.
- Navy wants customs' post to check Bangladeshi ships - Dec 02, 2010
- Decline in infiltration bids on Indo-Bangladesh, Indo-Pak borders during 2008-2010 (till June) - Jul 28, 2010
- Containers at ports pose security threat: Navy official - Jan 21, 2011
- Navy awaits nod to use Kolkata airfield - Dec 02, 2011
- Bengal fishermen, abducted by Bangladeshi pirates, traced - Feb 03, 2012
- Somali pirates striking off Lakshadweep: Navy - Dec 02, 2011
- India plans more integrated checkposts along Bangladesh border - Aug 27, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- India-Bangla trade must grow faster, says Pranab - Jan 22, 2012
- Three Indian fishermen killed by Bangladeshi pirates - Jan 28, 2012
- Tripura welcomes investment from Bangladesh: Chief Minister - Jan 19, 2012
- Dhaka launches drive against piracy in Sundarbans - Feb 04, 2010
- Six abducted by militants in Mizoram - Mar 26, 2012
- Chidambaram lays foundation stone for integrated border check-post - May 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,