Indigenous drone successfully test flownJune 20th, 2008 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) A state-of-the-art indigenous drone that will quantitatively boost the Indian Army’s capabilities in border states like Jammu and Kashmir was successfully test flown Friday, the defence ministry said. The Nishant unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully flight tested near Kolar in Karnataka, a defence ministry statement said.
“Nishant has completed its development and user trials. The present flight tests are pre-confirmatory trials before induction into service,” the statement added.
At 380 kg, the drone is one of the few in the world in its weight class capable of being catapult launched and recovered by an onboard parachute, thus eliminating the need for a runway as in the case of conventional UAVs that take off and land with wheels.
The Bangalore-based Aeronautical Development Establishment has jointly developed the drone with the Defence Electronics Application Laboratory at Dehradun, and the Aerial Delivery Research & Development Establishment at Agra.
Nishant is primarily tasked with intelligence gathering over the battlefield, as also for reconnaissance surveillance, target designation, artillery fire correction, damage assessment, electronic intelligence and signal intelligence.
The Indian army would deploy the drone in forward areas in Jammu and Kashmir, for gathering electronic intelligence. The Israeli Heron drone currently performs this task.
- DRDO's UAV 'Nishant' completes confirmatory flight trials - Feb 03, 2011
- Nishant UAV successfully tested by army ahead of induction - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian Army buying 20 mini-UAVs for Kashmir - Aug 29, 2012
- India test-flies Nishant drone with new technology - Oct 29, 2010
- Indigenous Rustom UAV completes successful fifth flight - Nov 11, 2011
- Successful flight tests of Nishant UAV - Jun 20, 2008
- Indian-run New Zealand firm designs UAV for cloud seeding - Mar 26, 2012
- Navy commissions UAV squadron in Gujarat - Jan 17, 2011
- India's new test range for weapons trials goes operational - Dec 15, 2010
- Russian army to get first indigenous UAV in 2014 - Jun 29, 2012
- IAF plans to induct more drones in fleet - Feb 04, 2012
- Belarus to build vertical takeoff drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- Israel's flagship drone crashes during test flight - Jan 30, 2012
- DRDO demonstrates indigenous aerostat system - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: aerial delivery, aeronautical development, application laboratory, border states, defence electronics, defence ministry, defence research, dehradun, development establishment, development organisation, drdo, drone, flight tests, indian army, jammu, kolar, ministry statement, uavs, unmanned aerial vehicle, weight class