India’s telecom sector earnings to cross $30 bn by 2013: Gartner IncJune 18th, 2009 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) India will continue its robust telecom story with the sector’s revenue to be more than $30 billion by 2013, according to a global information technology research and advisory firm.
“Total mobile services revenue in India is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5 percent during 2009-2013 to exceed $30 billion,” the US-based Gartner Inc said in a statement Thursday.
According to Gartner, the telecom subscriber base is expected to cross 770 million connections by 2013, growing at a CAGR of 14.3 percent from 452 million in 2009.
“The Indian mobile industry has now moved out of its hyper growth mode, but it will continue to grow at double-digit rates for next three years as operators focus on rural parts of the country,” said Madhusudan Gupta, senior research analyst at Gartner.
“Growth will also be triggered by increased adoption of value-added services, which are relevant to both rural and urban markets,” Gupta added.
Mobile market penetration is projected to increase from 38.7 percent in 2009 to 63.5 percent in 2013, Gartner said, and attributed it to three factors: increased focus on the rural market, entry of consumer durable and electronic companies into the mobile handset segment, and cheaper handsets.
The number of people with prepaid connections, who accounted for 93 percent of the subscriber base in 2008, will continue to swell to exceed 96 percent by 2013, surpassing 740 million.
The postpaid subscriber base will exceed 29 million subscribers by 2013, growing 2.5 percent from 2008, Gartner said.
It also predicted the churn rate - the rate at which a subscriber switches from one operator to another - to cross 59 percent in 2013 from 53 percent currently.
- Mobile device sales in India to reach 231 mn - Nov 22, 2011
- Content aimed at rural masses can make MVAS a $10 bn industry - Jul 08, 2012
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- Media, entertainment industry records 11 percent growth - Mar 21, 2011
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Data, not voice, will now drive telecom growth: Report - Dec 13, 2011
- Boom in Indian telecom industry to continue - Jun 12, 2011
- Fixed-line phone market to grow by 22 percent by 2013: Gartner - Jul 27, 2009
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- Smartphone users hit 20 mn mark in South Korea - Oct 31, 2011
- Ramco Systems launches enterprise software - Jun 15, 2011
- Vodafone India posts 19.5 percent hike in service revenue - May 22, 2012
- Mobile number portability will improve quality of service (Comment) - Nov 28, 2010
- Bharti forays into mobile handset business - Sep 19, 2010
- GSM operators add 6.7 million new users in November - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: cagr, compound annual growth rate, electronic companies, gartner inc, global information technology, growth mode, gupta, hyper growth, information technology research, madhusudan, market penetration, million subscribers, mobile handset, mobile industry, mobile market, research analyst, subscriber base, telecom sector, urban markets, value added services