India’s sugar production rises by 13 percentApril 17th, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) India’s sugar production grew by 13 percent to 246.31 lakh tonnes till April 15 during the current marketing year that started from October 2011, industry data showed Tuesday.
In the current sugar marketing season till April 15, sugar production was 246.31 lakh tonnes as compared to 217.32 lakh tonnes during the corresponding period of the previous year, according to data released by the Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA).
The industry body said that total sugar production was likely to reach 260 lakh tonnes in the current season that ends Sep 30, 2012.
According to ISMA data, Maharashtra continued to be the top sugar producer. The state produced 85.46 lakh tonnes of sugar till April 15, which is nine percent higher than last year.
Uttar Pradesh has produced 69.16 lakh tonnes of sugar which is about 18 percent higher than last year.
The southern states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have also reported higher production of 37.25 and 14.50 lakh tonnes, respectively.
Tamil Nadu is expected to produce another 7-8 lakh tonnes in the remaining period this year. The number of factories still in operation in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu is 38 and 44, respectively, ISMA said in a statement.
- Sugar output may drop by 1 mn tonne - Aug 08, 2012
- Sugar output rises 17 percent in October-December 2011 - Jan 03, 2012
- Sugar output pegged at 260 lakh tonnes - Jul 02, 2012
- Maharashtra tops India's sugar production - Aug 18, 2011
- Government efforts keeping sugar price stable: Mukherjee - Apr 24, 2012
- India allows 500,000 tonnes of sugar exports - Mar 22, 2011
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Cuba producing sugar with new technology - Feb 06, 2012
- Higher sugar production likely this year - Mar 31, 2010
- Indian coffee planters brewing profits - Oct 23, 2011
- India increases sugar export to maintain price - Aug 02, 2011
- Government's decision on sugar exports next week - Nov 17, 2011
- Mineral output slumps 14.5 percent in April - Jul 04, 2011
- NALCO's Q1 net profit up 32 percent - Aug 13, 2011
- Nearly 58 lakh tonnes wheat arrives in Haryana grain markets - Apr 27, 2012