India’s Spice mobile chooses Bangladesh for global debutDecember 23rd, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 23 (IANS) India’s Spice mobiles have debuted in the international market by launching four handsets in Bangladesh, the largest growing market for cellphones in the neighbourhood.
“We chose to enter the international market with Bangladesh as the country offers great opportunities for mobile handset companies with huge untapped penetration,” Kunal Ahooja, CEO of Spice Mobiles Ltd, said at the launch here Tuesday.
Mehboob Chowdhury, chairman of the South Asian Mobile Forum, said: “A greater cooperation is needed among the mobile phone manufacturers and operators of South Asia.”
“I congratulate Spice, a major brand of the region, for focusing their attention on Bangladesh and hope they may work for the benefit of all the South Asian nations, ” bdnews24.com web site newspaper said.
The move comes amid reports that Bharati Telecom is also eyeing the Bangladeshi market where Grameen Telecom, the pioneer, is working to penetrate the large rural market.
- 80 percent of Bangladeshi farmers own mobiles - Jul 22, 2012
- Stringent mobile radiation norms from Saturday - Aug 31, 2012
- Samsung eyeing 60 percent of India's smartphone market - Feb 14, 2012
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- Grameen Bank challenges government ownership claim - Feb 02, 2011
- Bangladesh forms panel on Grameen Bank - May 16, 2012
- Spice to invest Rs.1,000 crore in 2011-12 - May 02, 2011
- Taiwan's Mediatek brings Facebook to entry level phones - Nov 08, 2011
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- Stop border killings, Khaleda Zia tells India (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- Bangladesh resents US remarks on Yunus' removal - Mar 13, 2011
- Yunus moves apex court against removal from Grameen Bank - Mar 09, 2011
- Apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, benefit, bharati telecom, cellphones, ceo, com web site, cooperation, global debut, grameen telecom, handsets, India, launch, mobile forum, mobile phone manufacturers, neighbourhood, penetration, pioneer, South Asia, south asian nations, spice