India’s Pradeep Mehta on WTO panelApril 13th, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) The World Trade Organisation (WTO) said Friday it has appointed Pradeep S. Mehta, secretary general of Jaipur-based Consumer Unity and Trust Society (CUTS), on a high-level panel set up to identify 21st century trade challenges.
The first meeting of the panel will take place in Geneva May 16.
“The difficulties we, and many other multilateral institutions, have encountered in recent years is indisputable proof that yesterday’s solutions simply cannot be applied to the problems we face today,” WTO Director General Pascal Lamy said in a statement from Geneva.
“This panel encompasses experts from all corners of the world and nearly every field of endeavour. Their analysis will spark debate and open new channels of thinking how we can best confront the stumbling blocks that today’s rapidly evolving world has strewn in our collective path,” Lamy said.
Other members of the stakeholder panel on “Defining the Future of Trade” include Helen Clark, administrator of UNDP; Festus Gontabanye Mogae, former president of Botswana and George Yeo, former foreign minister of Singapore.
Commenting on his appointment on the WTO panel, Mehta said it will be a challenging task.
“I welcome suggestions from all stakeholders in the developing world to take forward their views in this exercise,” Mehta said.
The panel will meet several times this year and will present a report to the WTO in early 2013.
- 'Time ripe to conclude WTO Doha Round talks' - Apr 28, 2011
- WTO chief Lamy to visit India next week - Sep 02, 2011
- Ministerial meet may push deadlocked WTO talks: Lamy - Sep 05, 2011
- WTO will fight against protectionism: Lamy - Oct 18, 2011
- India must take lead to conclude global trade talks: Pascal Lamy - Sep 11, 2011
- World going through stormy period: WTO chief Lamy - Sep 06, 2011
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- Whole package for Doha round will not be passed: WTO chief - Mar 19, 2012
- WTO Chief calls for international coordinated action for global financial recovery - Nov 20, 2010
- WTO Doha Round won't conclude before 2013: Khullar - Sep 23, 2011
- Doha Round's failure will weaken WTO, says Lamy - Nov 19, 2010
- Global trade to fall by 10 percent this year - Sep 30, 2009
- Boeing got illegal US subsidies: WTO - Mar 13, 2012
- Obama greets Medvedev on Russia's joining of WTO - Dec 17, 2011
- India flexible for Doha trade deal - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: developing world, director general pascal lamy, endeavour, festus, first meeting, foreign minister, former president, george yeo, helen clark, indisputable proof, mehta, minister of singapore, multilateral institutions, new channels, pradeep, president of botswana, trust society, world trade organisation, world trade organisation wto, wto director general