India’s potential growth rate has come down: RBIJune 19th, 2012 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) A day after keeping the key policy rates steady, the central bank Tuesday said India’s potential of maintaining a high economic growth has come down.
“Potential growth rate of the economy has come down,” Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor D. Subbarao said at industry event here.
RBI’s comment came in the backdrop of a sharp drop in the economic growth, especially in industrial production.
India’s economic growth slumped to nine-year low of 5.3 percent in the quarter ended March 31. Growth in gross domestic product fell to 6.5 percent in 2011-12, as compared to 8.4 percent in the previous year.
Despite growing pressure from the industry for rate cuts, the RBI in its mid-quarter monetary policy review announced Monday kept key policy rates unchanged.
Addressing 104th annual general meeting of Indian Merchants’ Chamber, Subbarao pointed out that rate of gross fixed capital formation has declined to less than half of the more than 15 percent growth registered during the pre-global economic crisis period of 2008-09.
He said large fiscal deficit, growing supply side constraints, persistent inflation and adverse external environment dampening domestic sentiments were also putting pressure on the potential of economic growth.
Subbarao said the government must cut spending to bring more fiscal discipline.
- Inflation too high, says RBI; defends tight money policy (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI expected to cut key lending rates to spur growth - Jun 17, 2012
- Interest rate not main reason for growth slowdown: RBI - Jun 08, 2012
- With inflation easing, India's central bank halts rate hikes (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Global slowdown, reason for lowering growth projection: RBI - Oct 25, 2011
- After petrol prices, higher interest rates set to bite - Sep 16, 2011
- Inflation, fiscal deficit leave little room for rate cut - Jul 29, 2012
- RBI cuts growth forecast to 6.5 percent, warns on inflation - Jul 30, 2012
- Rate pause will help regain growth momentum: Pranab - Dec 16, 2011
- India Inc welcomes RBI's decision to pause rate hike - Dec 16, 2011
- After petrol price hike, brace for higher interest on loans - Sep 16, 2011
- Interest rate hike will hurt growth, fears FICCI - Jun 15, 2011
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: annual general meeting, backdrop, bank of india, crisis period, economic growth, external environment, fiscal deficit, fiscal discipline, global economic crisis, gross domestic product, gross fixed capital, gross fixed capital formation, indian merchants, monetary policy, previous year, quarter ended march, rbi governor, reserve bank of india, side constraints, subbarao