India’s passenger vehicle sales continue erratic run (Lead)June 8th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) Continuing the erratic growth cycle registered in the past five months, India’s passenger car sales fell by almost 0.8 percent in May to about 140,500 units, compared to the near 142,000 units sold in the corresponding month last year.
While passenger car sales were up about 4.2 percent in April and almost 15 percent in February, the industry had contracted by about 1.15 percent in March and 3.2 percent in January, data released Monday by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) said.
The small car segments A1 and A2, which make up over 60 percent of India’s passenger car volumes, registered a healthy 11.1 percent growth during the period, with Maruti leading the pack with about 20.7 percent growth.
Maruti has seven offerings in the segment, including the newly launched Ritz and A-Star.
Hyundai, however, suffered 1.7 fall in sales last month. The south Korean company has four offerings in the segment, including the recently unveiled i20.
Exports grew almost 30 percent in May to 30,000 passenger vehicles from 21,378 exported in the like period of 2008.
Commercial vehicle sales were down 14.8 percent from about 36,100 units in May 2008 to 30,800 units last month. Largest manufacturer Tata Motors scored a 2.9 percent growth, selling over 9,300 vehicles as against 9,078 units sold in May 2008.
The two-wheeler segment grew 12.4 percent in the domestic market, selling over 727,930 units last month as against 647,350 units sold in May 2008.
Exports of two-wheelers during the period were up 3.8 percent, marking a better show than April when the exports were down 21.7 percent.
Overall Vehicle sales, including all categories, increased 8.8 percent to over 929,500 units in May, compared to 853,900 sold in May 2008.
- Auto makers log growth despite rising prices - May 02, 2011
- Sales slowdown for auto companies in May (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- In a subdued auto market, Asian companies log growth in July (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Auto sales remain subdued in June (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki logs 9.2 percent sales growth - Aug 01, 2012
- Car sales growth lowest in last seven months - Jun 11, 2012
- Auto makers continue to log growth (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Interest rates, fuel price hike dampen automobile sector (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Indian automobile sector's March sales soar (Roundup) - Apr 01, 2011
- Auto-industry's mixed results for November sales - Dec 01, 2011
- Slowdown, inflationary pressures affect automobile sales in August (Roundup) - Sep 01, 2012
- Auto sales up 22.2 percent in November - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian automobile sector's February sales soar (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2011
- Auto companies report healthy sales number for February (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2012
- Car sales to fall in 10 years despite growth in January (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: a1, a2, five months, hyundai, India, indian automobile manufacturers, maruti, New Delhi, offerings, passenger car sales, passenger vehicles, ritz, segment, segments, siam, small car, south korean company, tata motors, two wheeler, two wheelers