India’s mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in MarchMay 3rd, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) The number of mobile phone subscribers in India rose to 919.17 million in March with Bharti Airtel alone signing 2.5 million of the 8 million new subscribers, official data showed Thursday.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the wireless user base grew 0.88 percent with an addition of 8 million subscribers, from 911.17 million in February.
With this, the total number of telephone subscribers, including land line holders, touched 951.34 million, registering a growth of 0.83 percent. Overall teledensity in India reached 78.66 percent.
However, of the total 919.17 million wireless subscribers, only 683.02 million subscribers were active subscribers on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR) — a temporary database of the subscribers who have roamed into the particular area, which it serves.
Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The total number of subscribers of Bharti Airtel stood at 181.3 million. Idea Cellular added 2 million to take its total subscribers base to 112.72 million.
Uninor added 1.3 million customers taking its subscribers base to 42.4 million while Reliance Communications added 1 million users increasing its subscribers count to 153 million susbscribers.
Vodafone also added one 1 million subscribers to have a total number of 150.5 subscribers.
State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) added 7,61,794 and 58,681 users to have 98.5 million and 5.8 million users respectively.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 1.86 percent from 13.54 million in February to 13.79 million in March. However, the wireline segment declined marginally from 32.33 million in February to 32.17 million in March.
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- Bharti Airtel denies inflating subscriber numbers - Feb 11, 2011
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
- Uninor on top as India's GSM base grows 1.15 percent - Nov 21, 2011
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: airtel, bsnl, idea cellular, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, mobile subscriber, mtnl, peak visitor, sanchar nigam ltd, subscriber base, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, telephone subscribers, trai, visitor location, vodafone, wireless subscribers