India’s merchandise exports dip 33 percent in AprilJune 1st, 2009 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) The current fiscal year has started on a sour note for India’s merchandise exports sector with the value of such shipments down 33.2 percent at $10.74 billion in April against $16.08 billion in the same month of the previous fiscal.
Imports, too, fell 36.6 percent to $15.75 billion in April from $24.82 billion in the like month of last year, according to official data on external trade released by the commerce and industry ministry Monday.
The statistics further revealed that oil imports in April were valued at $3.63 billion, which was 58.5 percent lower than the $8.75 billion in the corresponding period last year.
Non-oil imports also fell 24.6 percent to $12.113 billion from $16.074 billion.
Accordingly, the trade deficit for April, 2009 stood at $5 billion as against $8.75 billion during the like month of the previous fiscal.
India had set an export target of $200 billion for the previous fiscal that was revised lower to $175 billion subsequently due to the global slowdown. But the industry could manage just $164 billion worth of exports.
Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma, who took charge of his portfolio last week, has said India will maintain the level of its merchandise exports at around $160 billion this fiscal.
- India's September exports grow 36 percent to $24.82 bn - Nov 01, 2011
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- India's exports growth diminishes - Apr 02, 2012
- India's merchandise exports rise 21.36 percent in October - Dec 01, 2010
- India's exports slump 14.8 percent in July - Sep 03, 2012
- India's exports fall in May - Jul 02, 2012
- India's exports rise 36.4 percent in December - Feb 01, 2011
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- India's exports surge 82 percent in July - Sep 01, 2011
- April exports up 34 percent, trade deficit at $8.9 bn - Jun 01, 2011
- India's exports rise 44 percent in August; deficit widens to $14 bn - Oct 03, 2011
- India's May exports rise 56.93 percent - Jul 01, 2011
- India's exports rise in March, trade deficit dips - May 02, 2011
- India's exports growth falls to 3.87 percent in November - Jan 02, 2012
- India's exports rise 26.5 percent in November - Jan 03, 2011