India’s inflation slips into negative zoneJune 18th, 2009 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 18 (IANS) For the first time since the new wholesale price index (WPI) series started in 1995, India’s annual rate of inflation turned negative, falling to minus 1.61 percent for the week ended June 6, official data showed Thursday.
The inflation rate, which was 0.13 percent in the previous week, had last turned negative in 1977.
The WPI for all commodities rose 0.04 percent primarily due to a rise in the indices for non-food articles, manufactured products, and fuel, power, light and lubricants, as per data released by the commerce and industry ministry.
While the index for primary articles declined 0.7 percent, that for fuel and power rose 0.7 percent. The index for manufactured products rose 0.1 percent.
The final data for the week ended April 11 showed that the revised annual inflation rate actually stood at 0.96 percent as against 0.26 percent reported earlier based on provisional figures.
- India's inflation rate slips into negative zone (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Inflation falls to 6.89 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
- Inflation falls to two-year low in December (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Inflation eases a tad to 9.22 percent in July - Aug 16, 2011
- India's inflation minus 0.12 percent - Sep 10, 2009
- Inflation rate up, now at 0.83 percent - Oct 01, 2009
- Inflation slips, Pranab expects it at 6 percent by March-end (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- After 13 weeks, inflation turns positive at 0.12 percent (Second Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- India's annual inflation slips to 8.66 percent in April - May 16, 2011
- Food inflation climbs to 16.55 percent - Jun 03, 2010
- India's inflation up on higher fuel, product prices - Mar 14, 2011
- Food prices fall; inflation will continue to moderate: Pranab (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- After 13 weeks, inflation turns positive at 0.12 percent (Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- India's inflation rate rises marginally - Jun 25, 2009
- Inflation rate inches upwards to 0.37 percent - Sep 24, 2009
Tags: annual inflation rate, annual rate of inflation, commodities, food articles, India, industry ministry, lubricants, negative zone, provisional figures, rate of inflation, slips, wholesale, wholesale price index, wpi