India’s industrial sector will continue to improve: Moody’sJune 12th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) The rise in India’s industrial production in April points to stabilisation of the industrial sector, which will continue to grow in coming months, says the economic intelligence arm of global rating agency Moody’s.
The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) rose 1.4 percent in April as against a decline of 0.75 percent in March, data released here Friday by the government said.
“In coming months, industrial production will likely continue to show signs of improvement,” Nikhilesh Bhattacharyya, associate economist with Moody’s Economy.com, said.
According to him, the government’s infrastructure projects, recovering confidence, accommodative monetary policy and the recent rebound in commodity prices will help stimulate production.
“Already, the recent rise in commodity prices has led to increased production in mines, while recovering domestic demand has led to electrical production recovering,” Bhattacharyya said, hoping that these trends would likely continue.
Though the demand for consumer goods remains weak, this has been offset by the government’s infrastructure and construction projects, Moody’s said.
Bhattacharyya added that the recent fall in interest rates helped boost demand in the housing and construction sector.
The consumer durable goods sector registered 16.9 percent growth in output during the month, while the non-durables’ output fell 10.4 percent.
The surge in consumer durables production is “quite a surprise”, Bhattacharyya said, adding that the major reason behind this would be lower interest rates.
The durable goods sector has also been aided by major discounts offered by retailers to induce consumers and stimulate demand.
- Robust March industrial output may not be maintained - May 12, 2011
- India's industrial output up 6.8 percent in January (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- India's industrial output for April signals recovery - Jun 12, 2009
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- India's industrial output rises 8.8 percent in June - Aug 12, 2011
- As industrial output contracts, industry clamours for lowering rates - Dec 12, 2011
- IIP grows 0.1 percent in July, government calls meeting to revive manufacturing (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- As factory output shrinks, India Inc. demands lower interest rates (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- India's factory output rises 5.9 percent in November - Jan 12, 2012
- Central bank may raise interest rate in Oct 27 meet: Moody's - Oct 14, 2009
- Industrial output rises 5.9 percent in November (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- India's industrial output contracts by 3.5 percent in March - May 11, 2012
- Industrial output in July grows at 0.1 percent - Sep 12, 2012
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: agency moody, associate economist, commodity prices, construction projects, construction sector, consumer durable goods, consumer durables, consumer goods, decline, economic intelligence, electrical production, iip, industrial sector, infrastructure projects, intelligence arm, interest rates, monetary policy, New Delhi, rebound, s industrial