India’s industrial output for April signals recoveryJune 12th, 2009 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) India’s industrial output grew 1.4 percent in April as against a decline of 0.75 percent in March, in what analysts said can be taken as early signs of recovery.
Data on index of industrial production (IIP) released by the commerce ministry Friday showed that the growth also came after two successive months of decline and was led mainly by a 7.1 percent increase in electricity generation.
The manufacturing output, which has the maximum weight of nearly 80 percent in the general index, continued to register a poor growth, expanding by a mere 0.7 percent in April, against a growth of 6.7 percent in the like month of last year.
The mining index, the other major sub-index, logged a 3.8 percent growth against 6.1 percent in April last year.
Another sign of a broad-based recovery is that 11 out of 17 industry groups have shown growth during April, led by 31.1 percent wood and related products, 12.6 percent for wool, silk and manmade textiles and 10.2 percent for non-metallic mineral products.
Curiously, though, while consumer non-durables output grew 16.9 percent, consumer durables registered a decline of 10.4.
“In coming months, industrial production is likely to continue to show signs of improvement,” said Nikhilesh Bhattacharyya, associate economist with Moody’s Economy.com, commenting on the industrial production data.
The government’s focus infrastructure projects, recovering business confidence, accommodative monetary policy of the central the recent rebound in commodity prices will help stimulate production, Bhattacharyya added.
- India's factory output rises 5.9 percent in November - Jan 12, 2012
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- India's industrial output up 6.8 percent in January (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- India's industrial output grows by 4.1 percent in February - Apr 12, 2012
- India's industrial output rises 8.8 percent in June - Aug 12, 2011
- India's industrial output contracts by 3.5 percent in March - May 11, 2012
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- India's industrial output dips to 18-month low - Jan 12, 2011
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Industrial output in July grows at 0.1 percent - Sep 12, 2012
- Industrial output rises 5.9 percent in November (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- India's industrial sector will continue to improve: Moody's - Jun 12, 2009
- India's industrial output up only 4.4 percent in September - Nov 12, 2010
- Core industries growth rebounds to 6.8 percent - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: associate economist, business confidence, commerce ministry, commodity prices, consumer durables, decline, electricity generation, industry groups, infrastructure projects, manmade, maximum weight, metallic mineral, mineral products, monetary policy, New Delhi, rebound, related products, signals, silk, textiles