India’s industrial output falls 2.3 percent in March (Lead)May 12th, 2009 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) India’s industrial output fell for the third consecutive month in March by a steep 2.3 percent compared to the corresponding month last year, according to government data released Tuesday. This was the third fall in four months.
Production in the manufacturing sector declined 3.3 percent during the month under review from the year-ago period, showed data released by the Central Statistical Organisation (CSO) under the statistics and programme implementation ministry.
The CSO data, however, showed the cumulative growth in industrial production between April 2008 and March 2009 was 2.4 percent more than the corresponding period the previous year.
During this period, the mining, manufacturing and electricity sectors showed improved performance, their production rising 2.3 percent, 2.3 percent and 2.8 percent respectively over the corresponding period of 2007-08.
CSO said five out of the 17 industry groups have shown positive growth during March 2009, with tobacco, beverages and related products registering the highest growth of 15.1 percent.
Chemical products except petroleum products and coal followed with 8.3 percent growth, with transport equipment and components coming next with 7 percent growth.
On the other hand, food products industry fell 35.8 percent followed by wood and wood products at 25.1 percent, and “other manufacturing industries” at 19.7 percent.
- India's industrial output nosedives 2.3 percent in March (Second Lead) - May 12, 2009
- India's factory output up 3.7 percent in January - Mar 11, 2011
- India's economic growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- India's GDP growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- India's economic growth slumps to 6.5 percent in 2011-12 - May 31, 2012
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Core industries growth rebounds to 6.8 percent - Dec 26, 2011
- October industrial output slumps to minus-5.1 percent - Dec 12, 2011
- GDP growth at 6.1 percent in December quarter - Feb 29, 2012
- October factory output raises hope for double-digit growth (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- Industry concern over meagre factory output rise (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Core industries' growth rises by 6.8 percent - Mar 29, 2012
- Indian economy grew 7.7 percent in first quarter - Aug 30, 2011
- Core industries post 3.8 percent growth in May - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: beverages, central statistical organisation, coal, cso data, cumulative growth, electricity, food products industry, four months, government data, industry groups, manufacturing industries, manufacturing sector, New Delhi, petroleum products, previous year, related products, s industrial, sectors, tobacco, transport equipment