India’s industrial output falls 1.2 percent in February (Lead)April 9th, 2009 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) India’s industrial output fell 1.2 percent in February against a growth of 9.5 percent in the like month of last fiscal, while the provisional drop reported for January has been revised now to a marginal growth of 0.39 percent.
As per data on index for industrial production (IIP) released Thursday, manufacturing output, which accounts for the bulk of the weight in the overall index, declined 1.4 percent in February, against 9.6 percent growth in the like month of last year.
While mining output also fell 1.6 percent, against 8 percent growth in February 2008, that for electricity increased marginally by 0.7 percent compared with a 9.8-percent growth during the period under review, the official statistics showed.
Cumulatively, the general index expanded 2.8 percent during the first 11 months of 2008-09, as against 8.8 percent in the same period of last year. Industrial output was up 8.1 percent in 2007-08 and 11.6 percent in the year before.
Meanwhile, the research arm of global credit rating agency Moody’s said India’s industrial outlook would remain bleak until the export sector gained.
“India’s industrial outlook will remain dire until there are signs of improvement in export prospects,” Sherman Chan, an economist with Moody’s Economy.com said in a statement.
“It’s almost impossible for local manufacturers to maintain their previous production levels given the slump in external orders. Exports are unlikely to recover any time soon, as major markets such as the US and Europe are still in bad shape,” he added.
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- India's industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Industrial output rises in May but recovery probability low (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Core industries growth rebounds to 6.8 percent - Dec 26, 2011
- October industrial output slumps to minus-5.1 percent - Dec 12, 2011
- Core industries' growth rises by 6.8 percent - Mar 29, 2012
- Industrial output rises by 2.4 percent in May (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Core industries' growth slumps to 2 percent in March - Apr 30, 2012
- Industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June - Aug 09, 2012
- India's industrial output rises 8.8 percent in June - Aug 12, 2011
- India's factory output rises 5.9 percent in November - Jan 12, 2012
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- IIP data suggests slowdown: RBI - May 11, 2012
- Core industries growth falls to 3.1 percent in December - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: agency moody, bad shape, credit rating agency, economist, economy, electricity, europe, export prospects, export sector, global credit, India, industrial outlook, marginal growth, New Delhi, official statistics, research arm, s industrial, signs, slump