India’s import of precious metals down 37 percent in Q1July 17th, 2012 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) India’s import of precious metals in the quarter ended June 30, 2012 registered a 37 percent decline in rupee terms, compared with the like period a year ago, as the government took strong measures to curb such imports due to the high current account deficit.
“Total import of gold and silver in rupee terms during the period of April-June this year was Rs.51,084 crore as against Rs.81,307 crore in the corresponding period last year,” Commercial Intelligence and Statistics Director General Dipankar Sinha told reporters on the sidelines of a programme organised by the Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BNCCI) here Tuesday.
Sinha said in US dollar terms, the import of precious metal during the first quarter of the current financial year reported a 47 percent slide to $9.47 billion.
Gold imports have contributed substantially to India’s current account deficit (CAD) - the difference between total imports and transfers and total exports, which widened to the highest ever level to 4.5 percent of the GDP at $21.7 billion in January-March period of 2011-12.
- RBI mulls alternative financial instruments to gold - Jul 12, 2012
- Gold to cost more as budget proposes to increase customs duty - Mar 16, 2012
- Gold becomes Peru's No.1 export - May 09, 2012
- Wipro outlook cautious on flat growth (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Gold imports drop by 18.4 percent in April-June quarter - Aug 30, 2012
- India, China driving gold demand despite high price: Council - Aug 18, 2011
- Wipro battles to grow in volatile market (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- Rupee recovers from record low but outlook gloomy - Dec 13, 2011
- Direct tax mop-up rises 6.77 percent in April-June - Jul 09, 2012
- Wipro looks for growth in new geographies (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Exports held out despite slowdown but outlook cloudy (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 25, 2011
- Indian economy hit by high inflation, slowing growth (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
- Wipro net up eight percent in fourth quarter - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: bengal, chamber of commerce and industry, commercial intelligence, crore, current account deficit, dipankar, director general, dollar terms, first quarter, gold and silver, gold imports, july 17, kolkata, precious metal, precious metals, q1, quarter ended june, rupee terms, sidelines, sinha