India’s exports miss target with $169 bn last fiscalMay 1st, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) India’s merchandise exports fell short of the target set for the previous fiscal and were valued at $168.7 billion, up merely 3.4 percent over $163.13 billion in the year before, latest trade data showed Friday.
The government had set a target of $200 billion, which could not materialise due to the general downturn in the global economy and recession in some of the country’s largest trading partners such as the US and Britain.
Even the revised export target of $175 billion proved elusive. The country had logged an export growth of 23 percent during 2007-08 at $155.51 billion.
In fact, the exports during March this year were valued at $11.52 billion, which was 33.3 percent lower than the $17.25 billion registered during the like month of the previous year, the commerce ministry data showed.
The cumulative value of imports for 2008-09 was $287.76 billion, up 14.3 percent over $25.17 billion registered the year before. In March, imports declined 34 percent to $15.56 billion from $23.57 billion.
Import of oil during 2008-09 was valued at $93.18 billion, up 16.9 percent from $79.72 billion in the like period of the previous fiscal. In March, the imports totalled $3.81 billion, down 58.1 percent from $9.08 billion in the corresponding month the previous year.
Accordingly, the country’s trade deficit has been estimated at $119.06 billion, as against $88.52 billion during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2008.
- India's exports growth falls to 3.87 percent in November - Jan 02, 2012
- India's exports rise by 3.23 percent in April - Jun 01, 2012
- India's exports rose 10 percent in January - Mar 01, 2012
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- 29.5 percent cumulative export growth in India between April-Dec 2010-11 (Part I) - Feb 25, 2011
- India's exports fall in May - Jul 02, 2012
- India's exports slump 14.8 percent in July - Sep 03, 2012
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- India's exports rise in March, trade deficit dips - May 02, 2011
- US crisis may hit India's exports: Rangarajan - Aug 01, 2011
- Exports up 44.2 percent in August; deficit widens to $14.1 bn - Sep 09, 2011
- Exports jump 54 percent in March; dip 4.7 percent for 2009-10 - May 10, 2010
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- India's exports drop by 5.71 percent in March - May 01, 2012
- India's cumulative export growth in April- Dec stands at 29.5 per cent - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: 163, bn, commerce ministry, cumulative value, downturn, export target, fiscal year ended march, global economy, India, may 1, merchandise exports, ministry data, New Delhi, previous year, recession, trade deficit, trading partners