India’s exports fall in MayJuly 2nd, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) India’s exports dropped by 4.16 percent to $25.68 billion in May due to sluggish demand in European countries, government data showed Monday.
Imports also declined by 7.36 percent to $41.94 billion, leaving a monthly trade deficit of $16.26 billion.
The total value of exports in the first two months of the current financial year stood at $50.13 billion, down 0.69 percent from $50.48 billion recorded in the corresponding period of previous year, according to data released by the ministry of commerce and industry.
The first two months data indicated exports were likely to remain sluggish in the coming months and the whole year target might fall short substantially.
The government has set a target of 20 percent growth in exports in the 2012-13 fiscal.
Exports had increased 20.94 percent to $303.71 billion in financial year ended March 31, 2012, surpassing the government’s target of $300 billion.
Cumulative value of imports for the period April-May, 2012-13 was $79.88 billion, as against $81.87 billion recorded during the corresponding period of last fiscal, registering a drop of 2.42 percent.
Non-oil imports dropped by 16.11 percent to $26.95 billion in May.
However, a substantial increase in oil imports kept the trade deficit high.
Oil imports grew by 14.02 percent to $14.98 billion in the month under review. Cumulative value of oil imports in the first two months of the current fiscal was $28.89 billion, 10.51 percent higher than the oil imports bill of $26.14 billion registered during the corresponding period last year.
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- India's exports slump 14.8 percent in July - Sep 03, 2012
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- India's exports slump by 5.45 percent in June - Jul 13, 2012
- India's exports growth diminishes - Apr 02, 2012
- India's exports growth falls to 3.87 percent in November - Jan 02, 2012
- India's exports up 10.1 percent to $25.4 bn in January - Feb 09, 2012
- India's May exports rise 56.93 percent - Jul 01, 2011
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- India's July exports dip 14 percent - Aug 14, 2012
- India's exports rise by 3.23 percent in April - Jun 01, 2012
- India's exports surge 82 percent in July - Sep 01, 2011
- India's exports rose 10 percent in January - Mar 01, 2012
- India's exports rise 44 percent in August; deficit widens to $14 bn - Oct 03, 2011
- India's exports rise 26.5 percent in November - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: cumulative value, european countries, government data, India, ministry of commerce, New Delhi, oil imports, previous year, sluggish demand, substantial increase, target, total value, trade deficit