India’s economic revival will be fast: Chanda KochharApril 28th, 2009 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) The Indian economy will recover “quick and fast”, though sectors such as realty and auto will take some to revive, according to ICICI Bank joint managing director Chanda Kochhar.
“India is in a much better economic position than many countries. We have a very strong domestic market, driven by strong consumer base. So the outlook is very positive,” Kochhar told IANS on the sidelines of a business meet.
Maintaining that there were clear signs of recovery in the steel and cement sectors, she said: “However, there are other sectors where the situation is not so good. In sectors like realty and auto sector, revival will not happen very soon. It will take some time but the overall revival of the economy will be very quick and fast.”
Kochhar was Tuesday given the ‘Women of Excellence’ award by the women’s wing of the Federation of India Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). Twenty-five women, including Kochhar, HSBC country head Naina Lal Kidwai, Kinetic Engineering managing director Sulajja Firodia Motwani, actress Sharmila Tagore and Kathak exponent Shovana Narayan, were honoured.
Kochhar will take charge as ICICI Bank’s chief executive and managing director May 1, succeeding K.V. Kamath who will retire June 30. About her new role, Kochhar said the bank would see many positive and strategic changes in policies.
Once again, she affirmed that liquidity was not a problem.
“The Indian financial sector has a very comfortable liquidity situation. Liquidity is not a problem. Also there is enough room for interest rate correction. However, we have to watch for how the economy turns,” Kochhar said.
- Some of the top Indian women bankers (Sidebar) - Mar 06, 2011
- Kinetic Engineering and Kinetic Motor to merge - Dec 09, 2011
- Kinetic Engineering to launch two new gearboxes - Jan 17, 2012
- Chanda Kochhar tops India's powerful businesswomen's list (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Women manage finance better: Chanda Kochhar (Interview) - Apr 30, 2009
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Zeenat Aman, Priya Dutt to judge Women Awards 2012 - Mar 13, 2012
- CRR slash a cause for worry: HSBC - Apr 13, 2012
- Might see further slash in CRR by RBI: HSBC (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- FICCI Ladies Organisation presents women excellence awards - Apr 28, 2009
- Slow growth, high interest could impede loan growth: HSBC - Apr 12, 2012
- India Inc disappointed with RBI leaving rates unchanged (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Interest rates to go down but not immediately, say top banks - Apr 17, 2012
- Pune plays host to two-day Junior World Entrepreneurship Forum - Sep 03, 2010
- Top corporates welcome budget 2011-12 - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: auto sector, cement sectors, chamber of commerce and industry, director may, economic position, economic revival, financial sector, five women, icici bank, india chamber of commerce, indian economy, k v kamath, kathak, kidwai, kinetic engineering, liquidity situation, sharmila tagore, shovana narayan, will take some time, women of excellence