India’s computer sales up 33 percent in first quarterMay 23rd, 2010 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) India’s personal computer sales touched 2.2 million in the first quarter of this year, registering a growth of an impressive 33 percent, says IDC, a leading technology consultancy and think tank.
Among the various segments, desktop computers accounted for nearly two-thirds of the total sales at 1.44 million units, representing an 18 percent growth, while notebook sales were up 72 percent with 803,000 thousand.
Overall, the impressive performance in the January-March quarter saw the sales of personal computers during fiscal 2009-10 log a 7.6 percent growth, on the back of a 8.1-percent decline in the previous fiscal.
“Continued consumer confidence and revival of growth in the economy, led to the January-March 2010 quarter experiencing an upward trend in consumer personal computer shipments,” said Anirban Banerjee, associate vice president with IDC India.
“The commercial segment, especially large and very large businesses, also saw a demand growth. This performance underscores a more broad based recovery in the India personal computer market.”
In the overall personal computer market, including notebooks and desktops, Hewlett Packard retained the top spot with a market share of 16.5 percent, followed by Dell (13.6 percent) and Acer (13 percent).
In desktops, too, HP was the top player with a market share of 11.2 percent, followed by Acer and HCL. In notebooks, HP reclaimed the top spot with a market share of 25.9 percent, followed by Dell and Acer.
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- Computer sales in India up 24 percent in July-September quarter - Nov 26, 2009
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- Personal computers sales grew 18 percent last fiscal - Jul 28, 2010
- Computer monitor sales up 17 percent - Nov 29, 2011
- HP plans to cut 2,000 more jobs - Sep 11, 2012
- PC sales up 42 percent in third quarter - Mar 22, 2010
- Personal Computer sales grow 2.5 percent in April-June - Aug 17, 2011
- Intel looking for channel partners for all-in-one computers - Jul 18, 2012
- Computer sales up 7 percent in January-March quarter - Jun 12, 2009
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- Lenovo unveils 12 new products, sees double-digit market share - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: associate vice president, commercial segment, consumer confidence, dell, desktop computers, first quarter, hcl, impressive performance, leading technology, market share, New Delhi, notebook sales, personal computer market, personal computer sales, personal computer shipments, personal computers, revival, segments, technology consultancy, upward trend