India’s central bank hikes rates again to tame inflationMay 3rd, 2011 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 3 (IANS) India’s central bank hiked its short-term lending rates by 50 basis points to tame inflation and said the borrowing rate will henceforth remain 100 basis points below it in a major policy decision taken Tuesday.
Repurchase rate, or the short-term lending rate, now stands at 7.25 percent against 6.75 percent earlier, while the reverse repurchase rate, or the short-term borrowing rate, now automatically stands revised to 6.25 percent, against 5.75 percent.
Reserve Bank of India Governor D. Subbarao, who unveiled the monetary policy before the chief executives of commercial banks at the headquarter’s at Mint Street in mid-town Mumbai, said these policy decisions take immediate effect.
Other policy rates such as the statutory liquidity ratio and the cash reserve ration — the minimum quantum of money against deposits which the banks have to retain as cash or specified government securities — have been left untouched.
The bank rate also remains unchanged at 6 percent.
- Inflation forces another rate hike by India's central bank (Second Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Inflation forces another rate hike by India's central bank (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Inflation forces India's central bank to hike rates again (Roundup) - May 03, 2011
- Indian central bank hikes policy rates again to curb inflation - Mar 17, 2011
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Inflation prompts India's central bank to hike rates again - Jul 26, 2011
- RBI hikes key interest rates by 25 basis points - Nov 02, 2010
- India's central bank cuts key rates - Apr 17, 2012
- Policy rates up again as Indian central bank acts on inflation (Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
- India's Reserve Bank hikes key rates to tame inflation (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Highlights of Indian central bank's monetary policy update - Jul 26, 2011
- India's central bank hikes rates again to fix inflation (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- PNB, Allahabad Bank hike lending, deposit rates - Jul 29, 2011
- Global slowdown, reason for lowering growth projection: RBI - Oct 25, 2011
- Stage appears set for another rate hike by India's central bank - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: 100 basis points, bank of india, chief executives, commercial banks, government securities, mid town, mint street, monetary policy, money, policy decision, policy decisions, quantum, reserve bank of india, s central, statutory liquidity ratio, subbarao, tame inflation