Indians to get unique identity number soonNovember 10th, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 10 (IANS) An empowered group of ministers (EGoM) headed by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherji Monday approved a proposal to set up a unique identity authority (UIA) for all residents of the country.The approval by the EGoM will lay the foundation for the implementation of a unique identity system for all residents in the country based on a proposal formulated by the department of IT at the request of the Planning Commission.
The UIA will be set up under the Planning Commission.
The proposed system envisages collaboration among several government agencies backed by intensive use of IT.
The unique identity project seeks to assign a unique identity (UID) number to each individual living in the country that would remain a permanent identifier right from birth to death of the individual.
The EGoM also approved the modalities of collation of the UID scheme with the national population register, proposed to be created by the home ministry through the registrar general of the census of India in accordance with the provisions of the Indian Citizenship Act.
Ministers of home affairs, IT and communications, and law and panchayati raj are members of the EGoM while the Planning Commission deputy chairman is a standing invitee.
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging - Jul 12, 2012
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Cyber expert fears misuse of UID numbers - Aug 12, 2011
- Cabinet approves funding of Phase II of UIDAI scheme - Jul 22, 2010
- Foreign diplomats get lesson on unique identification drive - Oct 20, 2011
- Chidambaram expected to head EGoM on spectrum - Jul 06, 2012
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- EGoM to take final call Tuesday on spectrum pricing - Jun 04, 2012
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- EGoM on food security to meet Monday evening - Jul 26, 2010
- Rights group slams Food Security Bill draft in letter to PM - Aug 02, 2011
- Government allows direct jet fuel import, Air India debt plan - Feb 07, 2012