Indian workers affected by fire given refuge at consulate in DubaiAugust 28th, 2008 - 12:10 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai , Aug 28 (ANI): The 42 Indian workers, mostly from Andhra Pradesh, whose belongings were reduced to ashes in a devastating fire at their villa on Tuesday in Dubai s Naif area, have been given refuge in the Indian consulate here.
The ten workers who were killed in the fire hailed from Metpally Taluka in the Telengana region of Andhra.
Temporary arrangements have been made for the consulate to provide the workers with food and shelter. Most of the Indian workers at the villa were staying illegally.
Venu Rajamony, the Indian Consul General, on Wednesday visited the area in Naif where the 30-room villa complex stood, and met the affected Indian workers who had been gathered in large numbers since the morning.
Survivors of the fire were looking to salvage whatever was left of their belongings, but were restricted from entering the premises by Dubai police. Others had gathered to seek information on their friends and relatives, reported the Gulf News.
Rajamony said that a large number of Indians who were living in the villa were there illegally. As of now, the consulate is looking after the survivors, but soon they have to sort out their papers and take the first flight home. About 42 workers have been given shelter at a labour accommodation located in Al Quoz. We have also allocated some funds to them for their survival, he added. (ANI)
- Dubai fire tragedy: Bodies to be identified through DNA tests - Aug 28, 2008
- 'Watching Gajagamini was ritual for Husain's guests' - Jun 29, 2011
- Nearly 300 illegal workers held in Dubai - Jun 06, 2012
- 10 Indians killed in Dubai fire accident - Aug 27, 2008
- ‘Jai Bolo Telengana’ Movie Preview: History Retold - Jan 06, 2011
- Rajamony takes over as president's press secretary - Aug 02, 2012
- Venu Rajamony handpicked for Finance Ministry post - Oct 06, 2010
- Young Bengaluru bride dumped for dowry, returns home - Mar 17, 2011
- Venu Rajamony to be President Mukherjee's press secretary - Jul 28, 2012
- Irate villagers throw eggs, tomatoes on Jaipal Reddy - Apr 18, 2011
- Three workers injured in police firing in Yanam - Jan 27, 2012
- Krishna assures help to 17 UAE Indians on death row - Mar 31, 2010
- Rajamony to oversee multilateral agencies at finance ministry - Oct 05, 2010
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- 78 Indian workers left high and dry in Saudi Arabia - Jul 04, 2012