Indian telecom sector received Rs.48,220 crore FDIOctober 19th, 2011 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 18 (IANS) India’s telecom sector received foreign direct investment (FDI) of Rs.48,220 crore in the last 11 years - 8 percent of the total FDI the country received.
“FDI received in telecom sector in India from April 2000 to March 2011 reached to Rs.48,220 crore which amounts 8 percent share in the total FDI of Rs.580,722 crore received in the country,” a telecom ministry document said Tuesday.
With 858 million wireless connections, the Indian telecom syestem has become the second largest wireless network in the world by surpassing the US and only behind China.
Over 46 percent of total wireless subscribers in India were capable of accessing wireless internet at the end of March 2011 as against 30.44 percent a year ago.
According to the telecom regulator, the broadband subscription reaches 12.50 million in July 2011 from 12.32 million in June 2011.
The telecom department targets to have 1,200 million connections by 2017 and around 320 megahertz of additional spectrum to be made available under the 12th Five Year Plan.
Earlier this month, the draft of the National Telecom Policy 2011 which will replace the existing policy was also unveiled.
The new policy is expected bring cheer to consumers with proposals such as removing roaming charges for subscribers within the country and exponentially increasing broadband availability and speed.
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- Karnataka lags behind in attracting FDI: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- Data, not voice, will now drive telecom growth: Report - Dec 13, 2011
- India has 706 million mobile connections: TRAI - Dec 27, 2010
- Idea Cellular quarterly net profit falls 13 percent - Apr 26, 2012
- Idea Cellular quarterly net profit rises 32 percent - Jul 23, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- Discussions on for round 2 of bandwidth auction - Sep 30, 2011
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- RIL fourth quarter net profit down 21.2 percent (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 11 years, 50 million, cheer, exponentially, foreign direct investment, indian telecom, megahertz, ministry document, national telecom policy, New Delhi, proposals, roaming charges, spectrum, telecom department, telecom ministry, telecom regulator, telecom sector, wireless connections, wireless internet, wireless subscribers