Indian telecom industry celebrates 50-percent tele-density (Lead)August 6th, 2010 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) The Indian telecom industry celebrated its unprecedented achievement in 2010 late last evening by recognizing some key leaders who have helped shape this sector into a $63-billion business with a tele-density of 50 percent.
Organised by leading industry publication Voice and Data magazine, the event saw Sunil Mittal being named the Global Telecom Leader for 2010 for shaping Bharti Group’s takeover of the African assets of Kuwait’s Zain Telecom.
Tata Teleservices Chief Executive Anil Sardana was named Telecom Person of the Year for introducing “per second” billing plan in the country.
Matrix was named Emerging Company of the Year for growing from a niche company to a name synonymous with international mobility.
Key industry players like Wipro, Bharti Airtel, Cisco and the state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited were also honoured for being leaders in more than one category.
“While the industry is gearing up to connect every single Indian, its profitability is under great strain. The industry also looks forward to clearer policy directions on security issues,” said Pradeep Gupta, chairman of CyberMedia, which published Voice and Data magazine.
“The operators will need much more than magic to make money post-3G spectrum licensing. An early allocation of 3G spectrum, quick ramp up of data services and lower energy costs as a result of reliable utility supply can alone help the industry stay afloat,” added Prasanto K. Roy, chief editor of CyberMedia Publications.
- Tata Tele MD wins telecom person of the year award - Aug 06, 2010
- India's 300 mn mobile phone 'ghosts' (Comment) - May 04, 2011
- Actual tele-density is 41 not 66 percent: Study - May 03, 2011
- The goose with the golden spectrum (Comment) - May 23, 2010
- Indian telecom industry's revenue plunges 2.52 percent - Jun 22, 2011
- Operators want total spectrum available to be auctioned - Mar 22, 2012
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- Robust growth in telecom amid shadow of 2G case (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2011
- Tariff wars eat into revenues, telecom industry grew 2.5 percent - Jul 11, 2010
- Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal - Aug 29, 2011
- Five companies apply for 3G spectrum - Mar 18, 2010
- Consolidation after 3G auction signals some clear winners: Analysts - May 19, 2010
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Bharti Airtel launches 3G services in Karnataka - Jan 24, 2011
- Operators urge Sibal to auction total spectrum, reduce reserve price - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: bharti airtel, bharti group, billing plan, chief editor, country matrix, cybermedia, emerging company, energy costs, global telecom, indian telecom, industry publication, international mobility, key industry, niche company, person of the year, policy directions, pradeep gupta, sanchar nigam limited, telecom industry, unprecedented achievement