Indian Rotocraft starts building chopper production centre in HyderabadMarch 15th, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 15 (IANS) Indian Rotorcraft, a joint venture of Tata Sons and AugustaWestland, has started work on a helicopter production facility here to assemble, customise and flight test new choppers for the global market.
The joint venture will initially produce the 8-seat AW119Ke light helicopter from mid-2013.
The groundbreaking ceremony was held today near Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad on the city outskirts.
The facility, coming up on 10-acre plot adjacent to the airport, will incorporatie a main assembly building, flight hangar, office accommodation and several helicopter landing pads. The plant will be capable of producing up to 30 helicopters per year and is designed to be further developed for other helicopter types.
Tata Sons Chairman Ratan Tata said the project was integral to its plans in the aerospace sector. “We look forward to an enduring and successful partnership with AgustaWestland for fostering the growth of the Indian aerospace sector.”
“Not only will this new facility be able to build helicopters for the Indian market but more importantly, it will supply helicopters to AgustaWestland customers around the world,” said AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini.
- AgustaWestland unveils new-generation chopper at Farnborough - Jul 21, 2010
- AgustaWestland-Tata establish JV for assembling choppers - Feb 16, 2010
- Healthcare firms eye choppers as air ambulances - Jan 06, 2011
- Indian Air Force conducting trials for attack helicopters - Jul 22, 2010
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- Sikorsky offers military choppers to India (With image) - Mar 04, 2012
- Dreamliner, Sukhoi Superjet to be showcased at India Aviation - Mar 10, 2012
- India scrambles after Italy probes VVIP chopper deal - Feb 24, 2012
- AgustaWestland sells two more VIP helicopters in India - Feb 09, 2011
- 'India aiming to be among top five aviation markets' - Mar 14, 2012
- Antony seeks report on pay-off in Italian chopper deal - Apr 25, 2012
- IAF pilots training on VIP helicopters in Britain (With Images) - Jul 17, 2012
- First Tata-made Sikorsky S-92 helicopter airframe flies (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- Tata launches 3 aerospace production units - Feb 14, 2011
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: aerospace sector, agustawestland, augustawestland, chairman ratan tata, city outskirts, customise, flight test, groundbreaking ceremony, hangar, helicopter landing, helicopter production, helicopter types, helicopters, hyderabad, light helicopter, office accommodation, rajiv gandhi international airport, rotocraft, shamshabad, tata sons