Indian Railways to have 53 new trainsFebruary 26th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) There will be 53 new trains coming fiscal starting April, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad said while presenting the Railway Budget 2008-09 in the Lok Sabha Tuesday, adding that 11 trains will run more frequently and 16 trains will be extended to include more destinations. Of the 53 new trains, 18 will run daily, 19 once a week, 2 twice a week and 14 thrice a week.
The minister also announced a weekly express between Kerala and Punjab, connecting Thiruvananthapuram with Amritsar.
There will be a weekly train from Patna in Bihar to Vasco da Gama in Goa. The train will run on the Konkan railway tracks.
Gaya in Bihar, where Buddha is said to have achieved enlightenment, will be linked with a weekly express train to Chennai in Tamil Nadu.
The New Delhi-Jammu Tawi Rajdhani Express, which now runs once a week, will become a daily train from April.
The railway minister also announced special train between Delhi and Pune from October 12 to 18 when the Commonwealth Youth Games will be held in Pune as a prelude to the Commonwealth Games in the National Capital 2010.
The 16 trains extended include Mathura-Lucknow Express to Patna and Bangalore-Coimbatore Express to Ernakulam.
The frequency of Amritsar-Saharsa (Bihar) Garib Rath and Nizamuddin-Thiruvanthapuram Rajdhani Express has been increased from biweekly to thrice a week.
The minister proposed to make Varanasi-Rajgir Bhudh Purnima Express a daily train in the new financial year. Presently it runs thrice a week.
The frequency of the thrice-weekly Baripada-Bhubaneswar Express has been doubled to six days a week.
The minister said the railways has decided to run special trains to facilitate a pilgrimage from Anandpur Sahib and Patna Sahib to Nanded’s Gurdwara Sachkahnd Sahib, where the tercentenary celebrations of Guru Granth Sahib Gurta Gaddi is being held this year.
All three places are associated with the tenth Sikh guru Gobind Singh.
- Train to five Sikh shrines in December - Apr 03, 2012
- Six new trains sought for Jharkhand - Jan 10, 2012
- Ten new Garib Raths, 53 other new trains to run on tracks: Lalu Prasad - Feb 26, 2008
- Railways to launch train for Sikh shrines - Feb 03, 2012
- Railway budget disappointing: Nitish Kumar - Feb 25, 2011
- Goods train derails in Bihar; no casualties - Jul 13, 2012
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- Maoists hoist black flags in Bihar - Aug 15, 2012
- Finally, Amritsar-Chandigarh Duranto train is flagged off - Aug 24, 2011
- New trains announced to keep Mamata's promise - Mar 09, 2012
- Western Railway cuts running time of 100 trains - Jun 28, 2012
- Eight killed as Rajdhani rams auto-rickshaw - Oct 09, 2010
- Chronology of major Indian train accidents since 2000 - Jul 30, 2012
- Railway Minister announces Rs. 2 lakh as ex-gratia to kin of train-auto accident in Bihar - Oct 09, 2010
- Railways to run 26 new trains - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,